Rough Idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question. I am having trouble with the idle on my Sport Trac when I come to a stop. It feels like it wants to cut off and has a time or two. It runs ok when at speed. It is a 2003 2x4 with 184000 miles. I ahve done a tune up about 35000 miles ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Rick,

Have you cleaned the intake system with Seafoam or another intake cleaner. Easy to do. Do a search for cleaning intake. There is a post in here for that.

Rick, Clean the IAC valve. Not hard to do, and may be your issue. (IAC = Idle Air Control)

By the way, WELCOME to the site! :welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
If none of the above work there's a project on here for adjusting the idle. I was having the exact same issues and went through all the cleaning and it was still doing it. I upped the idle to 700 and it runs mint.

My Trac was running rough, I immediately thought cracked elbow but it ended up being worn spark plug wires that were probably we causing an arc from one to another.

Replaced and all is good.

Latest posts