Rotating Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to take a poll and see how many members rotate their tires vs. not rotating. I have always rotated my tires in the past, but I was wondering if it is worth the extra time and money to do so. Right now I have Yokohama Geolander HT/S tires with 5000 miles on them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't rotate as much as I should. Usually just when I think about it, and get it done.

I'm sure it's causing unneccessary ware on them.

I do it about every 10,000 - 15,000 miles so they wear fairly evenly. I would hate to have to replace a set of four just because two were worn out.

about every 5K, and yes it is worth it..

Todd Z

I am also rotating at 8-10k mileage intervals and have not had any of the cupping issues that some others are experiencing.

works for me.......

I try to do mine every other oil change, or every 6000. Real easy to remember that way. Just my way of not forgetting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it works!

No, but then again, I can't.

I've not really seen evidence that rotating will increase tire life. And it seems no one can agree on how to rotate tires either.

I check for uneven wear and tread depth. I rotate only when necessary. 30k on my Goodyears. I'm for sure will get another 30k out of them. I have rotated twice now. I will probably rotate after putting on another 6k. I rotate according to the manual.

Don't they rotate while driving??

I check the tires for wear and rotate when they are uneven or there is a wear pattern. I believe that this does extend the life.

Pattern is front to back, same side, correct? I have not taken the time to look it up, but if I'm wrong, please post here for benefit of others, as the question was referenced above. Thank you.

OMG, all the rotating going on here. I just had new tires put on 3 weeks ago...after 69,000 miles! Never had them rotated. Bought the same tires though; Michelin LTX. So there you have it guys, no need to rotate. :rolleyes:

Pattern is front to back, same side, correct?

Only if you have directional tires.

Normal rotation for a rear-drive or 4x4 is fronts straight to rear and rears crossed to front.

For a front-wheel drive car you move the rears straight to front and cross the fronts to the rear.

Usually the fronts will wear faster on any vehicle because of alignment and turning.

That said, Goodyear did a study a number of years ago and determined that on a front-wheel drive car, if you do not rotate the tires at all, you will need new fronts about every 30k but the rears will last pretty much forever or until they dry rot. My sister did that on an Eagle Talon she owned a while ago because it came with expensive Goodyear Eagles. She put on a lot of miles for work and at the time you couldn't just find cheap generic 16" tires anywhere. When she traded it in in 3 years it had about 95k on it but the rear tires were still in pretty good shape. That way she only had to buy two at a time.

As much problem as Tracs have with alignment and cupping, I say rotate the tires every 5k like the manual says.

I rotate every 6000 miles and it is worth it. I never have uneven wear on my tires. And, my tire dealer will do it for free as long as I get my oil changed there. Works great....he even rotates the stock Goodyears for free which he does not carry.

I rotate every 5-6K, trust me it worth it. I work at goodyear, and I cant tell you how many tires I seen worn because of no rotation.

Boodro

Latest posts