Roof Rack Removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom buczkowski

Reaction score
I have a 01 st and like the look I've seen on here of those that removed the roo racks. My question is .....After you remove the rack are there holes in the roof that need to be plugged somehow, or do you leave the "base rails " still on???? thanks tom

Tom- Many posts on MySt. Use the "search" button under the Message Board heading and type "Roof Racks" and click "All Posts" on "When To Search" function. I removed mine and covered the threaded inserts with "Cap Plugs" available from almost any auto parts or hardware store. Make sure to seal them with silicone. "Duplicolor" or similar matching touch up paint and your ST becomes a liitle more "streamlined". See my library without roof racks, step bars, and outer bed "cleats".

Last edited by a moderator:
i just put the screws back in at the momment

ill be getting i guess theyre called push rivets for them painted and use those instead with some clear silicon inside

theres a few projects about it.

different methods of covering the wholes

Where'd you get pics of my truck Paul?

I was thinking of just hitting the screw heads and inserts with touch up paint.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
i just put the screws back in for now and painted them with touch up paint. we've been having dry weather so i haven't had to worry about the silicone treatment yet, but ill be squirting some in the threaded holes once I get around to it.

hopefully I'll be able to reapply the roof racks if I ever need them again.

Latest posts