rims and tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but for some reason I can't find the wheel and rim guide thingy. I want to buy 15 inch steel rims for the winter and tires. I want the tires to be the same size as I have now....but in a 15 inch rim.

And the question is?

You don't include information about your current tire size, so ...

The wheel (rim and tire) diameter is the rim diameter plus twice the sidewall (section width*profile). If you subtract the 15? diameter of the new rim from the diameter of the current rim convert to metric and add half of that to the sidewall of the new tire you have the new sidewall measurement. Divide this by the section width to get the new profile. If you want the same (section) width, then you have that information, and it is the profile that needs to be determined.

Another way:

New profile = 25.4(current wheel diameter-new rim diameter)/2(current section width)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little word of caution: Check to make sure 15" wheels will fit before you purchase them. I wanted a set of winter tires as well so I tried fitting my 15" Ford Ranger rims on my 01 Job 1 ST only to find out they are too small. They fit over the brake caliper just fine, but when I spun them around those thin sheet metal tabs that help to hold the pads in place rubbed on the inside wheel well. I used a flashlight to see through the openings in the rim and saw just a tiny, tiny amount of space between the caliper and the rim. I had several people mention to me, "Well, can't you just trim up the tab to make it fit?" The answer is yes, I maybe could have, but I didn't feel comfortable driving the vehicle with such a close fit between the rim and the caliper. (For those of you wondering, yes I did tighten up the lug nuts to be sure I had a proper fit.) Maybe you might have better luck than I did seeing that you have a newer ST, but just check before you spend money on something that may not work for you.

Good Luck!

If you get 15" wheels they need to have 3.75" backspacing or less. Any wheels you get you'll want to test fit atleast one on the front and back to make sure they fit over the calipers and clear the tie rod ends.

As for the tires here is a tire/ wheel calculator.

Thanks again jerry. That's the tire calculator I was looking for.

The tires and rims I have now are stock 16 inch rims with 275/65r16

Latest posts