Response to previous post on Sparkplug Wireset!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice on my previous sparkplug issue. I went to Napa and got a wireset for $35. The spark plugs and coil are new, so I changed out the wiring. Turns out the 2 of the wires had been set into the wrong terminal. :( Not sure how this happened, but when I started my 2004 V6 Mustang, there was a strong sulphur smell, it idled hard and was shaky, and sounded like my muffler had a hole in it. After putting the wires into the correct terminals, the car sounded perfect and handled well.

Then today the check engine light came on. Code from Autozone read P0430, which could be several issues. I was told if I disconnect the battery by taking the Negative terminal off first, turning on the headlights, then disconnecting the positive and leaving it for 30 minutes it would "dump fuel maps" and reset the computer. Good idea? Any suggestions?

I've heard of the battery disconnect technique, but have never done it myself. As you can see by link below it could be an exhaust leak, but I'd lean more to an oxygen sensor or catalytic converter issue. A new cat is big bucks, so troubleshoot the oxygen sensor first. As this was the car that had sat for months, did you do anything about the fuel? The code you're seeing could be related to deteriorated fuel.

When your 2 plugs were on the wrong wires. the unburned fuel was saturating the cat. The aft cat sensor piske that up. Take it on a road trip. if the cat was not ruined. it will burn off.