Replacing wire on sparkplug, need advice.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 2004 Mustang. Check engine light came on and the code indicated a misfire to cylinder 3. Had a mechanic check it out and he said the wire on the sparkplug that connect to the coil was melted. He wanted to charge $450 to replace it. Outrageous! So I'm going to do it myself.

Does anyone have step-by-step directions on how to do this? Any suggestions or advice? Thanks for any help.

Search YouTube for DIY videos. If original plugs and wires, replace all. Driver's side engine bank should be accessible; Psgr side may be more difficult - on two former V6 Tracs I had it was easiest to get to psgr side plugs by removing RF wheel and going through the wheelwell. 3/8" ratchet, couple of extensions and spark plug socket are basic tools you'll need. As l1tech asks, V6 or V8?

If this is coil on plug. you say the wire to the coil melted. I would strip the tape back far enough into the harness. Need to make sure the melting cause, is not a short between wires. Splice new wire and jack from a good spot.

Two V6 engines on this year 'Stang, but neither has coil-on plug. I doubt that you'll be able to find just one spark plug wire; they're normally purchased as a full set. RockAuto shows a single wire available, but the shipping would be as much or more, plus you've got to wait for it. O'Reilly website shows Motorcraft set for $45. NAPA will have good choices too. You can find a cheaper sets, but quality parts always cost less in the long run. Let us know.