Replacing a starter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I need to replace my starter is it a difficult task? I usually keep up with all maintenance myself but this is something I've never done. It's been having trouble starting for awhile now and today it wouldn't even try to start.

I have replaced others but not a Sportrack. Starters are heavy, see if you are comfortable handling it.

You will spend some time under the truck so get it up in the air high-enough to move around.

Disconnect the battery first. Make a note of where each wire on the starter came from so you can replace. The mounting bolts probably tight so you will need a barker bar. Good feeling once you are done though. enjoy Ed

I did mine about two years ago on my 2001.

When I first to a look at it I thought there was no room to maneuver it to get it out without disassembly of the transfer case (4X4) mount bracket. I removed the bolts for the starter and began manipulating it to see if I could do it without having to make a huge project out of it. There's just a small opening by the torsion bar which I fed the nose of the starter into and had to turn back & forth a little but it actually fed through to my amazement. I did make sure to buy a Motorcraft starter though so there would be no difference in any slight change of configuration in the housing. The tolerance of that opening is unforgiving. Feeding the new starter is like fitting a puzzle piece but it went in nicely. Getting it bolted back together is a bit of a chore requiring some hand distortion. Altogether it took about 2 hours so I patted myself on the back.

Yes, it's doable, even with regular ramps!

I have replaced my starter recently... It's not the bad, but does require for you to remove the counter weight next to the differential if yours is 4x4 to access it. Not sure how the 2WD are.

@BluesCrues wrote:

"but does require for you to remove the counter weight next to the differential if yours is 4x4 to access it."

No it doesn't unless there was some change at the Drivetrain components between 2001-2004. I just posted above you that I did it without having to do that. Originally I thought I would have to.

Pics are proof

The opening in the center of this 1st pic is where the starter goes in and out.

128dc6d68b3688923a8cce9d1b449325.jpg

23f26ea665e22f645c781f02f84fc217.jpg

5d6fe162d3238108b0c74c8569937b20.jpg

87bdd8edce926cb65ffd67d630710951.jpg

7e9e99c4cc8d2f82a9300921a370931f.jpg

3c240661eaac49139846041248961a79.jpg

7890a32f7c791ec6dab80566924bd2b8.jpg

484448b36d08c1022de8cfa75e6bdf9c.jpg

thank you for the advice I think this is just too big of a job for me without having a second pair of hands to help so I will be taking it to a shop. ( p.s. I just replaced the battery a few weeks ago and it doesn't make a single sound when trying to start it but lights and such come one)

Can you have some one tap the starter with a piece of wood as you turn the key ?? If it starts its def the starter.

Todd Z

Always check the battery and cable connections before diving into replacing the starter.

If you jump into replacing the starter, go by Auto-Zone or some other auto-parts store that will test your old starter for free. If the starter checks out OK, then you have a battery or cable connection problem.

Rule-1: Always check the easiest-to-fix possible problem first before working your way to the harder and most expensive and most difficult possible problems. :grin:

...Rich

Ditto on what Rich said.

I have had and seen the cable to the starter coroded inside the insulation on another car, I had. Also a bad connection for the cable and or the trigger wire to the solenoid relay.

Latest posts