Replacement tires for 07 Ltd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Klinger

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just want to say I enjoy this site! Really like reading what others have to say (good or bad)about STs. :)

Several forum searches didn't dig up this exact topic, so here goes...

Looking to replace the stock 18-inch Michelin Cross Terrain 235s with something beefier and better... Want to keep stock alloy wheels, suspension, etc.

I would REALLY like to go with Firestone Destination AT 275/65 18 but I know that will make things pretty tight in and against the suspension components. This is really more of a question of tire size, not tire brand. I LOVE Firestones. I've owned 6 sets over the years and have always been thrilled with them. They really got the bum rap with the whole Wilderness deal.

Anyhow, about the 275/65 size (or something close) ... Any opinions? experiences? Yays/nays? Anything to worry about with the stock wheel size?

Thanks,

-JasonK

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to watch the sizing so you don't go too tall or wide... I think the factory rim can not take a 275 safely, Probably a 255 or so... Also may need a 60 series so you don't go too tall if you jump to a 255 or 265....

I think the rim width is maxed at a 265...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd...

Well that is unfortunate :unsure: ... Maybe BFGs in a 265/65 18 flavor would be a better option. While most of my 18K miles have been highway, i really am looking for something more aggressive looking in an all-terrain tire.

Thanks,

-JasonK

I think Dingo is running a 275 without problem, he'll probably chime in though or you can do a search, its been mentioned before.

Stock wheels, Dingo?

At 14,000 miles, my CrossTerrains are about shot. They will last the summer, but I'll need new ones before the fall. My alignment is right on, I've had them balanced and rotated. They are wearing very evenly, but are just about to the tread wear indicators.

Tire Rack doesn't have many choices for our Tracs. I'd like to stay stock size for handling and gas mileage, etc., but I will not get CrossTerrrains again.

I have previously gotten well over 60,000 miles on CrossTerrain SUV tires. The ones they put on our Tracs must have very soft rubber or something. I'd love some BF Long Trails or even ATs, but don't see any sizes that look feasible. So I am looking for solutions for new tires soon as well.

Maybe someone will put up a FAQ before I need them (so I don't have to try to search and find this stuff again.)

At 14,000 miles, my CrossTerrains are about shot.

Wow, at 18K miles mine have about half the tread depth left, but most of my driving been highway miles. I have some slight feathering but other than that the tire wear is good. It's interesting how some people are seeing good tire wear and others are not.

Mine wore well for the first 1/2 of the tread, but then they started wearing like crazy. I would say most of my tread wear has been in the last 4000 miles.

I thought other posts here from people with poor wear of the Cross Terrains were nutty, as mine looked good. But then, all of a sudden, it seems like mine started wearing very quickly.

All stock, and about 60% highway driving.

I am also very surprised to hear about bad tire wear. My stock Michelins are still running fine and I have over 34,000 on them. Highway, little off road and also towing a trailer for a good majority of the time.

Rob

I'm at about 18K on the Michelins running 90 highway%, 5% offroad, 5% trailering. (Or something like that) Can't say i am noticing any wear or performance issues as of yet. I just don't really care for the the size, tread, or look of them. Then again I can't justify the cost of replacing perfectly good tires. :)

Just wish Ford would have OEM'd something that "fits" the 'trac.

Thanks,

-JasonK

Latest posts