Replaced Trans filter, rear differential oil yesterday

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris smith 5

Reaction score
Mercon sp is $7/qt from Ford. Bought 6 quarts, dropped the pan and replaced the filter ($20 from rock auto) and filled it up.

Wondering about the filter though. Maybe somebody has some input. The filter absolutley would not stay connected to the transmission on its own. It DOES rest on the bottom of the pan once inserted into the tranny and the pan is secured right? So it does stay in place because of the pan?

Shifting was a little rough in the 30 miles after I was back on the road yesterday. Fluid was only at he bottom of the check plug hash marks, I will pick up another quart today.

Trans pan magnet was remarkably clean. Not so much on the differential plug though. That thing was coated with about an inch of particles. Refilled with Amsoil 75w140.

Pics when I get home tonight...

For sure, the Gen II 6R60 tranny has no bolt on the filter. It just slides into a small tube with a rubber seal and dangles there once the pan is removed. The replacement filter though, would not dangle. It would slide in and out freely. Hoping the design is that the pan holds it in place.

Yellow dipstick fits inside a hollow deep nut that screws into the trans.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Pan magnet didnt look bad

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Differential plug was caked up

[Broken External Image]:

Something is definetely wrong, and now it sounds like you are sucking air from around the filter seal which is casuing your shifting issues. Did you install a new filter seal with the new filter?? Is it a Ford filter??

The old filter seal came off, and a new seal went on with the fresh install. I picked up another quart and now the fluid is square in the dip stick hash marks, shifting is back to normal - if not better.

The service manual makes no mention about securing the filter to the transmission, it just says insert new filter and re secure pan. It seems everything is ok, but I still wonder if there should be some way to lock the filter down.