Repair Manual

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a repair manual for a 2002 Ford Explore Sport Trac? I am needing to change out the clutch slave cylinder on my truck and would like to have this to make it easier to change.

Susan,

Changing a clutch slave cylinder on a Sport Trac is not any different than changing one one on any other vehicle....pretty straight forward. I would thing any Explorer manual close to your Gen-1 Sport Trac would be as good as it gets.

I had a Popular Mechanics DVD that gives you access to the online manuals with all the updates. I got rid of my last Sport Trac in 2008 and don't recall where I got the PM manual DVD. The DVD just installs software that allows you access to a single vehicle, make and model, but it was very good at showing parts, wiring diagrams, troubleshooting, repair procedures, etc. I think it was only about $20 for the DVD.

Since I don't own a Sport Trac anymore, I did not install the software on my new computer, and have no idea were I even put the DVD....Sorry. :cry:

...Richard

From the factory manual:

1. Remove the transmission

2. Inspect clutch housing for traces of fluid. If brake fluid is visible, install new clutch slave cylinder.

3. remove the bolts

4. remove the clutch slave cylinder

5. Inspect slave cylinder for:

a. worn or damaged boot

b. leaking fluid

c. worn bearing

6. Inspect clutch release bearing as follows:

a. rotate outer race while applying pressure. If bearing rotation is rough, install new clutch slave cylinder.

b. if wear pattern is continuous (not segmented) and wear appears to be deep in bearing face, install new slave cylinder.

7. Installation:

a. Reverse the removal process

b. position the slave cylinder to the transmission and install the bolts (15 lb ft torque)

c. install the transmission

d. bleed clutch hydraulic system.

There were only couple of diagrams in the manual for this procedure; not sure they'd help much.

Latest posts