removing shocks-

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Sundown

Reaction score
Planning to replace shocks too. Don't know if this was answered yet. I was looking at the rear shocks and noticed the top has a shaft going thru the eyelet to hold it in place with 2 bolts as is the front shocks at the bottom of them also. When buying new shocks do they come with new ones already or do these come out. The reason I am asking is I was planning to put lowered shocks and they wanted me to measure my ride hide and the bolt diameter thru the eye. I could't tell if this shaft comes out and reuses. It is about an inch wide but i am wondering the diamter of the eye itself and also if this does or doesn't come out with the shock. I think the front will have to get aftermarket direct replacements because of the skinny extension on the bottom of the shock to clear the rack-pinion. I looks like I might have to do what everyone else did and just by new aftermarket direct replacement shocks like Ranchos, etc.... if I can't get custom lowered universal ones.

As far as the shocks that I have changed; The "shaft" you are refering to is actually a flattened piece of metal that acts as both a leveler and a mount. ALL of the shocks that I've replaced, had that piece already installed with them, either by spot weld or otherwise. I can't imagine a shock without the "shaft" as you call it. Even with shorter shocks to compensate the lowering, if they don't have that "shaft", I wouldn't buy them because they aren't the right shock.

Hope this helps...

Edelbrock is the only company that makes shocks for a lowered Trac. You can get them through one of our sponsers, Explorer Express.

thanks for the info. i guess the universal lowered shocks will not work because they were made for ones with nuts and bolts to go thru them.