removing running boards

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this may be a dumb question but i want to remove my running boards on my '03 xlt because i bottomed out and bent the hell out of both of them..is there a guide anywhere on removing them without messing anything up?

im very inexperienced in tinkering with cars as im only 18 and this is my first car

Crawl under the truck and there should be 3 bolts on each bracket just find the right size socket and loosen them and take them off its really easy

taking off the running boards is a VERY easy and straight forward project, i did it by myself in about 20 or 30 minutes with an air socket, but i would recomend a 2nd person to help hold up the detatched end of the boards, i put them back on for a while thinking i would like them but i didnt, so i took them back off, this time with a regular socket, and it still only took about 30 minutes, just loosen the 3 bolts on the back of each bracket...

Autozone has contour fit splash guards that look nice. About $20 a pair. If you go with that you will need a #8 for the front and a #6 for the rear. Double check it on the back of the package. I just picked up a set for my ST tonight.

I've always preferred plain black mud flaps and the only place I've found that has them anymore is Advance Auto. About $8 a pair.