Removing Center Console 03 Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Nicholson

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is involved in removing the center console? I am planning to install Sirius tomorrow and I am going to hardwire direct to the aux cig outlet. To do so I need to remove the center console.

thanks..Jim

JIM,

Full console ???

Simply squeeze in on the sides and pull up, Then pull back and up towards the back seat...

Short console,??

Front is held in with 2 small Hex screws inside the tray

Funny thing is I just installed the same thing in both my trucks, 1 short console and 1 long..

The cig lighter wire is right there... IF you splice the center pin on the sat radio cord is the +... On the trucks sig lighter the + is the Grey with red stripe. The Black is ground...

I can post pics of my installs if you like since I used other mounts and made them work for me..

I also ran the antenna out the FRONT of the truck and placed it right by the roof rack on the FRONT of the truck, NO need to go all the way out the third brake light...

Both work great..

Todd Z

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it is a full console. I bought the sirius professional install kit SIRPVK1 and I plan to tap off the aux outlet and hide most of the wires under the console.

I am thinking of running out to the third brake light with the antenna. I would be interested in seeing your setup if you already have pics available.

thanks

jim, I could get them tonight, or tak them in the morning if you like...

Todd Z

Full console, do as Todd said, but you might have to pull REAL hard! I had to use a small pry bar to get mine to move. At least mine was that hard...

Jim, I do not have photo's, but I ran the antenna line in the 3rd brakelight, inside the plastic molding around the headliner all the way to the front passenger corner, down the plastic there, under the dash all the way to the center console and came up from behind the center console. There are a couple of good projects in here that I printed out, and just used them as guides. I still want to mount a cigar lighter jack under neath the center console to get the XM power adapter out of the aux plug on the side of the console. (XM has a 12vdc to 5 vdc adapter). I cut a small v in the plastic housing for the light to make room for the wire and I did put a bead of clear rtv around the light before I reinstalled it to keep any water out.

I am currently using the tape adapter to play through the stereo, but in tht last day or so, the OEM radio has started kicking it out randomly, so I think I am going to buy a head unit with an aux input and go that route.

Jim

Take a few extra moments to connect the power adaptor to the radio power wire. It will mean removing the radio, but thats an easy step. If you wire it to the aux outleet, the Sirius will be "hot" at all times, and you will neeed to shut it off manually. If you connect it to the power wire that supplies the radio, it will turn on and off with the stereo, including the delay untill you open the door. It makes for a much nicer install.

Greg