Removed roof rails, excessive wind noise?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek F

Reaction score
Well I removed my roof rails on wed night. I didn’t have any cap’s for the bolts or anything yet to cover the mounts back up with. I thought I would take them off and just try to find something in the next couple of days to use. Well I went to work yesterday morning, and had horrible wind noise the whole way in! At first I thought it was an issue with my new tires/wheels rubbing or something. So when I got home last night I went to the hardware store in search of some allen bolt covers that would fit. No luck. So to verify it was the roof rail removal that caused the noise I put them back on last night. Drove in this morning and the noise was gone.

In looking at the roof after removing the rails, my guess is the seam covers on the back of the cab roof. The rails hold down a plastic piece that curves over the back edge of the cab on each side. These are not held down in place once the rails are removed. My guess is the wind was breezing through and under these flaps causing the noise. So my question is for those who have removed the rails, did you notice a huge increase in wind noise in the cab? And what did you do about these two plastic pieces on the back cab?? I know JKII and a couple others just used some bolt covers to cover up the mounting studs but this will still leave these plastic pieces unsecured in the back.

I guess it also could have been air flowing down into the hollow mounting bolts in the roof since they were not capped off…? Hmmmmm

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

You can remove them and use black electrical tape to cover the holes and the plastic lip of that cover, This will confirm the problem. Then remove each piece of tape till the noise comes back..

It may be the bolt holes and not the plastic cover...

Todd Z

Well I didn't notice any increase in wind noise, but I usually ride with my windows down anyways, so I don't know for sure. I do know that sometime in the fall on the interstate I lost one of the little curved pieces of plastic. Ehh, the price you pay...

Derek,

The 2001-2002 Sport Trac's are notorious for their excessive wind noise. 5 years ago, when I had my 2001 Job1 Sport Trac I too removed the roof rails and temporarily taped over the holes to see if that would reduce the wind noise. I found it made no difference and put the roof rails back on as soon as I got back from my test drive.

The bulk of the wind noise comes from the weatherstripping around the door windows. Usually its the upper rear corner of the front doorwindows and the upper front corner of the rear windows.

If you open the window and pull the weatherstripping out of the corner and apply a good quality silicone sealant to the back of the weatherstrip and press it back into the corner. Then you must roll up the window and leave the window closed for at least 24 hours.

That will remove much of the wind noise. If you continue to hear some wind noise, you can get a specal door seal that was used on the 2004 and later models. This seal goes on the rear door near the "B" pillar that separates the rear door from the front door. Between those two fixes, you should remove about 85%-90% of the irritating wind noise.

...Rich

here is a link to the wind noise project..

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/WindNoise/WindNoise.htm

Todd Z

Thanks for the info guys! I just wonder if even the new seals would make a difference? It was pretty loud and annoying with the rails removed. And honestly with them on I hear very little wind noise in the cab. Mine is pretty quiet. I just don't know if the seals will make enough difference with the rails off.

Sucks too. I have always wanted to remove the rails, and it looks so much better with them off. I am really suprised there isn't an aftermarket kit out there for easy & clean removal of the rails with hardware for the bolt holes & possibly something to secure this plastic piece at the back! I bet alot of folks would buy it! I would! I hate to say it but I may end up having to leave them on. :(

Hey Jeff, whats it look like underneith where that plastic piece was? What are they for anyway?

My roof rails have been off my '03 for over 2 1/2 years. I put the mounting screws back in the holes with silicon on the threads and used an adhesive sealant under the plastic covers. I noticed some noise reduction, not a lot. The noise level dropped a little more with the addition of the 'B' pillar seal. I like the look without the rails and it only takes a few minutes to install or remove them.

[Broken External Image]:

I removed the rails, on my '04..put the screws back in...superglued the plastic pieces at the rear...I have less wind noise now..

hmmmm decisions, decisions. I really wanted to loose the rails but dunno if I can handle the noise. Atleast I'm not the only one that had the noise. Where can I get the seals from? My dealer kinda sucks for parts.. What are the running price wise?

This is what I did to cover up that unsightly area you're talking about. It's a little bit of work, but really dresses it up and keeps it from looking like something is missing.

Eric, your project is awesome! I dunno if I could get that accomplished though your results turned out really well! I don't think I have the skill. :p I don't have any router bits, and when I looked at them for a kitchen project I was doing, I passed. There expensive little suckers!

You ever considered making a few sets, ready to paint to sell? I bet on ebay you could do well with them! I would be interested if the price was right!

Derek F, these are the seals recommended by Todd, through a site sponsor Spartan Ford or Fordpartsfast.com.

01-04 Sport Trac rear door seal--7.00 shipping per pair

Part# 4L2Z-26247A50-AA

Regular price: $27.77

Special Price: $22.49

01-04 Sport Trac rear door seal--7.00 shipping per pair

Part# 4L2Z-26247A51-AA

Regular price: $27.77

Special Price: $22.49

Button head screws, a piece of cardboard with a perfect circle and 4 coats of paint. I don't have any noise. I guess the button heads might annoy people but you don't even notice it on mine unless you're focused on it. I like my truck neked. :rolleyes: