Remove this inner fender to replace #3 spark plug?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
In reading some of the posts for replacing the #3 spark plug (passenger side nearest the firewall) I have seen the suggestion is to remove the passenger side tire and the inside guard to improve access. I am not sure if this means removing the inner fender (as seen in the attached pic) or just the small triangular guard that is clipped to the rear inside edge of the inner fender. Thought I should ask before I remove the whole inner fender for this and then be a dumb #### for removing the wrong thing.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
NO! Remove only the "small triangular guard" fastened with push in retainers, and the right wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is, But it takes only 5 min and is sooo easy to do.... I just remove mine..

Todd Z

I just removed the tire, that gave me enough room to get that spark plug out. It is nothing compared to the 2 aero star vans I had, those back two plugs were a real SOB :angry:

I got mine from above with a spark plug socket and a box end wrench over the end of the socket to break it loose. Then a short extension allowed me to back it out with my fingers. No need to take a bunch of stuff apart if you just take your time and figure it out.

Even with the body lift on mine the plug and wire behind the A/C Compressor is still a bitch to do. I finally said screw it and totally removed the Compressor, lines and condenser. Now it's the easiest to do.

:banana:

Latest posts