Relocating to the Big Apple. Need advice.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score
Hey Fellow Sport Tracers,

Going way off topic with this message, from visiting this site off and on for the great knowledge shared on this site. It was a no brainer to send this out.

I'm relocating with work from Toronto to Manhatan, NY. I'm currently working with my companys relocation team who have set me up with a Broker that will help me with finding an apartment. Recently just found out that I will have to come up with up to 15% anual rental fee for this broker! YIKES!!!! (and my company doesn't cover this :( ).

I've found a great site I've heard about. www.craigslist.com were I found listings from the owners/landlords which I will not have to pay the finders fee WOOHOO!!! :)

So the question out to the members who live in NY is, how's living in these following areas?

EastChester/Scarsdale/Bronxville.

I visited NY this past weeked (8 hours each way! My trac handled great!!!) and I stayed in Eastchester and it felt like home, not you're big city but nice and quiet area which I like, good escape from battling the fast pace of working in Manhattan every day when I start at the end of the month.

Curious to see you're comments!

Thanks again! John A

Last edited by a moderator:
those are fine - but where is your office - mid town? - use Metro north train to Grand Central - If you are downtown - you need to live in NJ or Brooklyn.. Big ? is how long of a commute do you want - 1hr means Greenwich CT also....

I'll be working beside Rockefeller Place and after that, it's up in the air. I've also heard this company may moving towards upper manhattan? So I may need to jump on a subway after Grand Central if it's out of walking distance?

Thanks nhsailmaker!

Understood Gary D in CT. I got quotes for 1BR rentals minimum $3000.00 in Greenwich - Manhattan!!! I was original looking at the Financial District for residence but after going there I've had a change of heart...

Rent in Eastchester isn't that bad, this may be a 6months stint or permantly depending on if there's work. I'm just looking to rent a 1BR to crash at...

There are quite a few people who commute to the city from CT. They live 50/60 miles from NY and do it everyday. Good luck in your search.

Gary D.

If you are young and single, I would seriously look at renting in the city, even if that means two or three roommates, as its quite the lifestyle; one you may never get a better taste for again in your life.

Commutting on a train never appealed to me.

I tried it, living in Westchester and working in lower Manhatten for about 1 year. I would recommend anything above White Plains for a mid-town job.

Don't forget the cost of commuting, what with parking and train pass. It's not cheap.

TJR

Thanks TJR / Gary.

I am single, 27yrs old, some of my friends will probably say an old 27 hehe. I completely hear what you're saying TJR about living in the city, my company's paying me about average from what I see and I could rent in the city, but I wouldn't mind coming out with some cash in my pocket :) because like you guys said it's expensive :). Then there's you're comment of living once and experiencing manhattan 24/7, which is a once in a lifetime chance. Which my buddies are suggesting I do also for the experience...

I have some decisions to make, they will be tough... It'll be easier to do speaking to the locals and getting all you're input...

Thanks for the input gang! Appreciate it!

John A

I wouldn't move to NY for all the $$$ in the world. I heard those New Yorkers are nuts! Oh wait, I already live here. Those areas, Eastchester, Scarsdale are nice. Not too far from midtown either. Even going further up into Rockland County isn't too far and more quiet. Just don't move to Queens - we have too many people here already.

Try looking on City Island. It is about a 30 minute express bus ride into Manhattan. It is a small island on Long Island sound in the Bronx. I can see the Manhattan skyline from my living room. Average 1 bedroom apts are $1400. Really nice place to live. Check out www.cityisland.com

Yeah, just don't ride the ride the tram to Manhatten, unless you enjoy dangling above the east river for 10 hours while the cops attempt to rescue you in an oversized bear cage. Damn that was funny. It's interesting to see how many New Yorkers are on this site. Where have all you people been hiding?

We do have too many people here in Queens but another ST couldnt hurt.

Take a look into Astoria, Queens. Its just on the other side of the river from manhattan. Also Long Island City, Queens. Nice areas in Queens that are alittle further away are Whitestone and Bayside, longer commute but nice. Little Neck is nice too.

I Live on the Island and Avoid the city at all costs. I even drive through it at 4 AM just to avoid all the dam traffic...

Speaking of that I will be in Manhattan on Monday doing some survey work for key span...

Todd Z