Relay Clicking Sound - Headlights Stay On

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbluther

Reaction score
2003 XLT, 163000 miles. Real cold here a couple weeks ago (well below 0 deg F). My blower resistor went out (fixed that) and about the same time started to hear a random relay clicking sound. Definitely a click on, click off sort of sound. Not sure where it's coming from, but it sounds like from the passenger kick panel where the 4WD control module is. (That's not it, the 4WD module makes a different sound.)

Here's the weird part. Tonight when I arrived at my destination, I switched the headlights off but they stayed on! Not until the click off sound happened would they turn off. Now, my understanding is that the headlights have no relay. What could this be? I've observed no other malfunctions or strange behavior of any other components.

TIA

Do you have the inside auto dim mirror with a slide switch on the bottom? I have a 2003 and when its cold that auto headlight switch likes to turn on when it is off in my Trac :driving:

You are correct - there are no headlight relays (low or high). There is a relay for the parking lamps. [Edit: This relay appears to be controlled by the Anti-theft system to flash the parking lamps when the system is activated (during a "theft event") while the headlight switch controls the parking lamps directly by passing the positive through the relay contacts while the relay is open (normal position).]

My guess - the headlight switch is hinky (might just be dirty) and affecting the signal to the parking lamp relay causing it to cycle as well as the headlights to remain on ... maybe. I'd try cleaning by cycling it, maybe with an air blast, or removing it to clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ha, RedRanger7! I think that's it. If I play with the slider, I can "control" the lights and the clicking noise. I guess it's the switch on the mirror that's the real problem.

Thank you both for the ideas.

The sensor could be fogging up, the relay for them sticking or the switch is bad.

Todd Z

Same issue, anyone happen to know what that part number is? (I am assuming it's a dealer part only)

It's the switch on the mirror. If I tug it towards off after I shut the truck off the lights go out.

Eventually I'm sure it will fail

Time to hunt for a new one

Latest posts