Recommended maintenance at 74,000 miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Sport trac, 74,000 miles, (4x4 XLT) and have taken very good care of it. I want this truck to last as long as possible, so what maintenance/projects are recommended to keep it running for years to come? Here is what I've done so far since buying the truck 4 years ago:

Brake fluid flush, Coolant flush, replaced the shocks to Monroe Sensa-tracs, new tires, rotors, and pads, replaced spark plugs, had a full fuel injector cleaning, changed front differential fluid and gasket, did a transmission flush, replaced fuel filter, and of course I change the oil on a regular basis, along with filters.

Truck's been very reliable so far and I will be doing a lot of driving in the coming years! What's next?

Since you asked - I'd change out brake fluid, coolant and a fuel filter at minimum. Transfer case, transmission and diffs due for service too - unless you had AMSOIL in them in which case you wouldn't need those done.

Since you asked - I'd change out brake fluid, coolant and a fuel filter at minimum. Transfer case, transmission and diffs due for service too - unless you had AMSOIL in them in which case you wouldn't need those done.

I'd say you've got it covered pretty well. Mostly just change the fluids and filters and keep it in tune. You mentioned the front differential but not the rear, so I would do the rear if you haven't already. Transfer case lube as Vic mentioned.

My system:

Tranny flush every 30k (on an '05, I used to have an '05). 50k on my '08.

Transfer case every 30k. The manual says 60k but it will look like tar after 30k. Takes regular ATF, I use Mobil 1 ATF.

Front and rear axle lube every 50k. I do the rear every 30k on my '08 because the carrier bearings in the IRS are said to be weak.

Coolant flush every three years or 50k.