recommended adhesive?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazon

Reaction score
On my Tonneau cover, the adhesive on the velcro holding the release pulls in place did not hold. What would be the best one to use to make it stick? Any suggestions? I'm tired of them dangling and getting caught when I close the cover.

Also the left-side Bungy strap that holds the cover down when open keeps popping out. Any suggestions on getting this to stay as well?

I used industrial outdoor Velcro to fix mine...

You can use silicone, gorilla glue, crazy glue, rubber cement.

The bungy sounds like the plastic is worn out causing it to come out, or the metal bracket is damaged....

Could drill a hole i the bracket and screw it to the plastic.

Todd Z

I had the same problem with my velcro on the release pulls. The temps in the box are really high given the black Tonneau and it melts the velcro adhesive. I cleaned off the adhesive from the velcro (or use new non-adhesive velcro) and the tonneau surface with lacquer thinner, scuffed the tonneau surface with 8o grit sand paper and used 5 minute epoxy to re-attached the velcro to the tonneau. It cures rock hard and won't soften when it gets warm. So far, they have stayed in place.

Can't help with the bungee........you may have to physically re-attach it with screws or a small toggle w/eye if it keeps pulling out. I would ask the dealer to fix it first though.

This is a brand new 07 Trac - bought end of March - dealer warranty issue on the bungy? Been doing it since I bought it. Hate to drill it . . .

Then it sounds like a trip to the dealer is the only way to go...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Same problem with my 07'.

Just landed a new position with Elmer's Products, and they make Krazy Glue (with a K, Todd). Once I start I'll see if K-G holds.

I did the same thing as brad. Cleaned, sanded and epoxied. Not Ford's best idea. The heat must soften the glue and the handles fall down.

I just came across this ad today in the new Oct 07' issue of Workbench magazine. On page 80 there's a ad for Loctite Power Grab on a Roll. It looks like a roll of tape but the ad says to not "mistake it for a roll of tape because it's actually a solid strip of acrylic polymer adhesive."

It looks really cool, exactly like a roll of tape and might be just what your looking for. I don't work for them and have no affiliation, just trying to offer assistance.

Latest posts