Recommendations for aftermarket tonneau covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Olenko

Reaction score
Any recommendations for aftermarket tonneau covers? I can't seem to find a decent used OEM tonneau cover in my area so I am checking into aftermarket ones. I see names like Lund, Truxedo, etc. for typical vinyl ones that look pretty good. Should I get velcro roll up, snaps, one piece lift up, etc. Any recommendations?

I would say that the type of cover would depend how much you actually use your bed. If you need access to it often, then I would probably go with one of the lift up style covers.

I have an Advance Cover which is split like the OEM and a lot lighter. Can put it off or on by myself.

I used one on my Gen 1 and now I have one for my Gen 2. Light, easy to handle & store...

Extang Full Tilt. Check pictures in my library. I love it. Had the OEM, hated it and sold it. This one tilts up with the hydraulics and the whole thing lifts off in seconds and can very easily be done by one person. And it also rolls up if needed. No velcro and no snaps.

If its looks you want, go with a fibreglass cover. Mine needs two people to lift it off safely, but installs and uninstalls in seconds. It provides decent access to the bed, its waterproof and its sexy (haha).

I have the Raider LoRider painted to match the body colour of my truck. Of course, you'd have to order it from CANADA :D

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I bought my ST used, and it had the ARE cover on it... The cover carries the hood bulge to the back of the ST. Dont know if it is the one that I would have picked, but it came with the truck, has stood up very well to the elements, It locks, and does not leak...

Sorry, I am at work and cant take a better pix right now...

[Broken External Image]:

My friend ordered the Advance cover for her 08 ST, it looks really nice. I think I like it better that the ford factory job, just wish someone would make a folding version in something besides black.

I have had both hard and soft covers on my 3 Tracs and currently have the Truxedo soft cover, which works best for me and is super easy to open and close- no annoying snaps. Its very hard to deal with a rigid cover of any type when you come across a super deal at Home Depot on a pressure washer, kegerator or anything else that just won't fit in the bed due to height or size. My fiberglass cover could be tilted up and left open, but it felt flimsy that way, and when I took home some trees from the nursery they had to be tilted over and left about 20 lbs. of dirt in the bed. The Truxedo is a bit expensive for a soft cover, though.

Its very hard to deal with a rigid cover of any type when you come across a super deal at Home Depot on a pressure washer, kegerator or anything else that just won't fit in the bed due to height or size

He speaks the truth. Bought my newest XC mountain bike on the whim and had one hell of a time fitting in the back with the tonneau on. BUT it still looked good :cool:

Its not so much of a big deal now that I have a bed extender, but I have to remove the cover if I'm planning on moving large items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Undercover. Looks good and is easy for person to take off even with the bad shoulder. Plus I picked mine up on craigslist for $125.00 wish I had factory but this works great.:banana::banana:

I really don't see the issue with the OEM cover. I went to the pick 'n pull and got a hood for a 1992 LeSabre, a hulking hunk of steel, and while I did have assistance to lug the hood out of the far corner of the yard, I undid the tonneau by me onesie, chucked it in the bed, put the hood in vertically on a diagonal slant, tied everything down, and was good to go.

Sos if yous buy a pressure washer or kegerator that can't fit in an open half of the tonneau, why can't you just put the tonneau in the bed and put the item in question in as well, or even on top if necessary?

2 people to install the cover is a luxury, and as real truck owners, are we really all about luxuries from our vehicles?

and as real truck owners, are we really all about luxuries from our vehicles?

On the inside of them, Hell Yes. (coming from a guy who has a stock stereo, cloth interior and road maps [no GPS unit]). :lol:

if you buy a pressure washer or kegerator that can't fit in an open half of the tonneau, why can't you just put the tonneau in the bed and put the item in question in as well, or even on top if necessary?

This makes me a little jealous. Although I've tied things down to the top of my cover (carefully!)

road maps

Road Maps FTW, GPS is lame.

Unless you need it for work, GPS use is sad. The only other reason I could see is for the live traffic updates for major roads. To me, that would be its only use. Map reading is a lost art, it's sad, really. If you can't get there without GPS, you shouldn't be driving there. Too many car rides with people who drive watching the GPS instead of the road have jaded me here.

(And when I drove vehicles with integrated GPS into Canada, I was "off the digitized map" for the entire duration. Apparently the world DOES begin and end with America lol. Good thing I had my AAA map....bad thing that Toronto told me that their USA ferry still existed...and 2 years later they still do. )

(End mini-rant lol)

I upgraded my stock radio....to a newer stock radio lol.

I know that the stock tonneau cover, while properly mounted to the bed, can support several hundred pounds, as I've had 4 ppl on there, and our weight averages out to roughly 200 lbs a person, and the cover is still going strong (the Tgate was closed for this).

After getting so much out of the bed cover, I don't know how any truck owner of any truck gets by without one, same with the bed extender. Maybe I'll feel the same with the bed mat once I get it.

KL,

Don't even get me started on Toronto. That damned city....

I think a GPS would be invaluable for me when visiting a place like that. I can't find my way around the stupid city without a map and a GPS would just make it more convenient, as their road maps dont illustrate the millions of one-way streets clearly enough.

I agree with you that reading road maps is indeed a lost art. A lot of my friends can't navigate worth sp!t when I have them sitting in what I call "the navigator" (passenger) seat. Yet when I am their navigator, I'm focussed, communicative and accurate. Much like a GPS unit! lol

Now, What the hell were we supposed to be talking about ? :huh: Tonneau covers, right!

I realy like my truxedo lo-pro roll up. They also come in colors. Excelent heavy duty velcro sides and inside latch.

[Broken External Image]:

Wgts about as much as the OEM cover, not cheap painted to match.

But drop dead water proof and secure, Snug top, similar to the gem top.[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts