Rear window sticking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had their rear window stick and keep rolling back down. It used to be I could hold the knob and it would force itself up, but last time I had to do it about 5 times before it went.

What should I be looking for when I tear into it?

my '02 did this last weekend while i was on a trip. had it down when it started raining and when i went to roll it up, it would go up about 3/4 of the way and then back down. i tried it a number of times, but it would never go up and stay. finally just left it down 'til i got home and after i shut the truck off and back on, the window worked fine and has since. i thought maybe a little water had gotten into the mechanism somehow and caused a "fluke" one time thing.

it's worked fine ever since.

dutch

First try spraying some silicone in the tracks. Might just be dry and draging. Other wise it is more serious, motor or controler.

Justin,

George C has the EXACT same thing.... IT took us about 20 tries and pulling up on the window to get it to close...

I think a track repair on the rear window requires the whole window to be removed !!! That sucks...

Todd Z

Had a similar problem a month ago. There is a cable that is routed over a plasitc wheel on both the top and bottom of the window rail. It is possible,as in my situation, that the cable came off one of the guide wheels. Im my case, it slipped behind the wheel and was lodged between the wheel and the metal window rail. The motor still moves the cable, but with much more resistance, and thinks there is an obstruction, which forces the window to open. There is very little play in the cable and I could not get mine back on the wheel without disconnecting the cable. Still cannot figure out how to get it back together and take up the slack after it is reconnected.

Hope you have better luck with yours. I had to disconnect the whole thing and prop the window up. My cable kinked badly and broke off a plasitic retainer in the motor. I am still deciding what to do with mine. If you come up with any instructions or ideas on how to reconnect the whole thing, please post. I would love to get my window back. There has to be a way to reconnect the cable and take up the slack.

Latest posts