Rear Window Died

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Nakashima 2

Reaction score
My rear window went down and never came back up this morning. Have an 01 and checked #3 fuse under the hood which looks good. Don't hear any noise so I think the motor died. Anything I should check before opening up the back panel and try to replace? P.S. anyone got a cheap used motor for 01 rear window?

I tried the reset suggested by swshawaii and could hear a little noise but it never went back up. I didn't realize the entire window is encased in metal and couldn't figure out how to raise it manually till I can get it fixed. Hope the critters don't move in tonight....

Have some one push up as the motor is raising it...... I have seen them hit the frame or a bad part causes it not to go up...

ALSO did you try HOLDING the knob turned till it goes up ?

Todd Z

This is a common failure on the '01.

The electronics in the motor fail and the motor needs to be replaced.

For now, you can remove the motor and manually raise the window.

On the passenger side compartment behind the seat, the interior rug is perforated so you can get access to the motor. After removing the motor, I used a bolt that the head fit the spline and raised the window. Put the motor back in so the window will stay up.

I paid about $110 for a new motor but the price varies by dealer.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer quoted me for $650 for the part and install but didn't have the motor in stock and would need to get it from accross town the next day. They couldn't figure out how to get the window up and I didn't want to leave my truck so they "plastic wrapped" it. I told them to wait on ordering the part. Should I stick to OEM or does anyone know of any aftermarket parts available (if so please recommend). Dealer said part was over $200 so I'm not sure if my dealer is jacking the price up or if its inflation since Phill did it above.

Phill R - how long did it take you to swap the motor out? My wife doesn't want me wasting the whole weekend on it but I don't want to dump $400 in labor if it's just a matter of screwing in the new motor. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

P.S. very suspicious of a dealer that couldn't figure out how to get the window up without a new motor!!!

See link for aftermarket options.

There are two fuses, one inside and one outside. (F1.3/F2.20) Check them both?

You say you turn the switch and hear "a little noise". The cables on the regulator are bad to rust and break the outer housing. Check that before buying a motor. There is also an alternative "reset" procedure, see my pdf's at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238632 .

ff1f365ff211857c5f5efaa18000ae05.jpg

8b09b546fea26d0168e6dea4eeb9f270.jpg

It took me about an hour to figure it out to close the window.

When I got the new motor, about 20 minutes for R&R and setup per reset procedure.

You don't need to take out any of the rear trim. The motor is accessible by tearing the perforations inside the back of the compartment.

$200 may be about the going rate from most dealers parts department

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts