Rear strut leaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So I noticed my drivers side rear strut is leaking oil, looks like I will be doing that job soon. Anyone done these yet? Have any tips?

Its easy if you buy the complete kit, comes with new spring and shock. 4 bolts a side and done...

Also plenty of you tube videos on line to watch.

Todd Z

Todd, I did find a video, They show loosening up the lower pinch bolt and the upper control arm pivots to allow more room.

I bought the KYB struts, I'm gonna swap the springs over. I've done it many times (last week in fact on my Odyssey) and I have air tools which make the spring compressor go much faster. I picked up some new Moog sway bar end links in case I have to cut those off.

Got it done tonight 2.5 hrs. Not to bad at all. A couple tips. I had to pull the bolt out at the forward lower link attaches to the main swing arm to allow the lower knuckle to swing out of the control arm. Also pay attention to how the upper shock mount aligns with the lower shock mounting bushing because once you have it in there you cant stick a screw driver in the lower shock mount and twist it to align it with the mounting holes in the control arm. It has to be assembled in alignment so the 3 upper bolts drop in their holes and the lower shock mount lines up with it's holes. I also installed the moog end links even thought the stock ones came apart easily.