Rear Shackles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlunchbox

Reaction score
In an earlier post I had mentioned how I found one of my shackles broken. How hard is it to replace them? What I really need to know is how to do them and what tools I would need. I can't find a project or procedure on here. Thanks everyone!

I didn't replace mine but I did completely remove, disassemble and lube them. Very easy to do. Simple automotive tools are all that is required. Floor jack, jack stand, socket set and wrench set. Jack the truck up from the frame and position the jack stand so as the wheel and suspension will be completely free hanging. I had to use a block of wood along with my jack to get the height needed. I did one side at a time but you could jack up the entire rear end if you have the equipment to do so. I did not have to remove the tire or the spare tire. Then it is a simple matter of unbolting the brackets and exchanging them out. There will be very little tension on the brackets as long as you have the truck jacked up correctly and the suspension completely free hanging. This was my first time working on suspension parts like this and I found it to be a very easy project. I was nervous getting started because I was afraid the leaf springs would be under thousands of pounds of pressure or something but that is not the case. I suggest you use some sort of grease when you reinstall the bolts back through the bracket bushings.

/

Well I have a auto lift at work so that might make it a little easier :grin: I'm thinking i'll attempt it tomorrow as the earliest I can get into my mechanics is Wednesday. Seems pretty straight forward.

go to project,,,, and check out nates lift you should be able to see and read what your bout to get into he did a shackle lift although it explains removal and how to make it ......easier .........got good photos to look at

good luck :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your shackles are that far gone, the bushings will most likely be a royal PITA. GL

Latest posts