Rear doors erratic unlock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fer Echegaray

Reaction score
Hi all,

The last few months I've noticed an erratic behavior with the rear doors... About 60% of the times you won't be able to open them from the inside, sometimes locking/unlocking them will fix it and you can open them from inside, but the next time a passenger tries, it won't open.

It's like the child lock is engaged, but it isn't, I've checked it several times... perhaps the cable inside is loose and unable to pull the latch all the way?

This is happening on both rear doors. Any ideas as to what might be the cause?

Thanks

There was an issue with the rivets that hold the actuator on, maybe they are coming loose..

Todd Z

Thanks Todd,

Once you mentioned the name of the thingie (actuator) :wacko: I was able to find a ton of threads on the same subject...

I'll bet dollars to donuts you will have to replace your inside release handles. The symptoms you are describing is exactly how it has been for me right before the plastic lever that triggers the internal release breaks. I've replace mine 3 times now.

Tends to happen when people (in my case my kids) repeatedly over time try to open the door before unlocking it. It causes stress on the plastic lever causing it to bend then eventually break. Replace it, cost is around $10-15 from your local dealer, and they keep plenty of them in stock as this is a common problem.

Mark H's project referenced below: