Rear Diff

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a few months ago I started to notice a noise. Thought and was told by the dealer, it was my tires. My tires needed replacing. I bought new tires (not at the dealership), and the noise was still there. Then I thought it might be the wheel bearing. But the noise travelled to all four points of the vehicle. Took it to my mechanic and they were stumped. They knew it wasn't the wheel bearings. They were certain it was the transfer case. Thank God for Drivetrain warranty. I took into a different dealership, and they are replacing the bearings in the rear differential and the u-joint. I have just over 67,000kms on it. Is this common so soon?

It can be, But was the level ever checked ????

Todd Z

I had a whine at speeds 60 and higher. I ended up changing the fluid, added the fiction modifier, and the noise was gone. My fluid level was low and water had contaminated the rear diff.

Mike,

Please edit your profile and select the year and motor of the ST you own.... This will add some information to your tag line so we can help you easier..

Thank you

Got my Trac back on Friday, finally. It wasn't the rear diff at all. It was the front diff. They replaced a couple of bearings and seals. But the noise is gone.