Rear Axle Fluid ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N J

Reaction score
For the last two oil changes, the mechanic has been trying to get me to replace my rear axle fluid, but just recently the dealer (who I don't necessarily trust 100%) told me it looks normal.

I have an 03 Trac with 80 000 kms (equal to about 49 700 miles) and the oil is dark (possibly dirty) and there are small metal shavings present around the nut (not major pieces but a build up of metal burs). According to the mechanic this synthetic oil should be as clean as apple juice without any signs of metal.

What is your opinion on this issue and when do you recommend changing this?

O yeah, mechanic also said that this should be replaced every 45,000 kms (27 000miles) but I have never heard anything like this from the dealer. Mmmmmmm

Thanks

The fluid is synthetic fluid and is normally good for 100,000 Miles.

The color and magnet particles are normal based on the miles on your ST.

I Personally would and am going to do change mine every 60,000 miles Minimum. Maybe sooner if i feel like it..

Also if you have a limited slip you must add a bottle of friction modifier..

Todd Z

See what they charge first if it's the dealer. Dealers here are about $90 to change axle lube but the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube does it for $39.99, although I don't think that's using synthetic. I took them my own Mobil 1 gear lube and they did the axles for $25 each.

I brought my own diff fluid to my local lube-x (3 litres per diff by the way) and they did it for 25.00 per axle. well I actually did the rear myself but the front was impossible to get to so i paid them to do it. I recommend the castrol synthetic.

Dallas