Really ... new wheel bearings at a 109k?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Beelien

Reaction score
Had a gear/vibration issue coming from the front end, dealer tells me the front wheel bearings have to be replaced ... $960:cry: with 109,000 kms on it, that kinda disappoints me. Have any of you had to replace yours this early? I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Many Sport Trac owners have had to replace 4x4 front wheel bearings much earlier than 109K miles. 4x4's used sealed hub bearings that cannot be serviced like conventional wheel bearings. In addition, the 4x4 front hub bearings must be pressed out of the spindle assembly and the new bearing pressed in. This involves major dis-assembly of the front suspension., plus the bearings are not cheap.

You might be able to get a lower labor rate at an independent garage, and probably get the Hub bearings cheaper too.

...Rich

PS: corrected my dyslectic typo of 190K miles instead of 109K miles...:banghead::banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well George had to do his at 60K and I just replaced mine Both sides at 101K.....

Welcome to the club....

Todd Z

thanks for the feedback, although it's only 109,000 kilometres (about 65,000 miles) so just wondering if this is a common issue early on.

had 1 replaced at 75000 miles then the other side at 80000 then the first one again at 82000 miles..3 of them in 7000 miles..$350 for the first one then just parts for the others..i watched and learned how to do it.

Did my right front a few years ago at about 150k took about 2 hours from start to finish cost about $175 at that time for the part. Not too difficult just broke a few craftsman sockets so a little time going to Sears to get my replacements. Good luck.

My son replaced his left front hub bearing assembly @ 95,815 & then replaced the right front hub bearing assembly @ 97k & then again @ 179,946 on his '05 4x4 ST @ $375 per time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just rolled 120K on my '01 2WD and they seem fine still...

This truck has been so good (except for the tranny) that I'm getting a newer one and giving this one to my son.

I just rolled 120K on my '01 2WD and they seem fine still...

This truck has been so good (except for the tranny) that I'm getting a newer one and giving this one to my son.

thanks for the replies, although it appears that the gen2 4x4 Trac's bearings are sealed and need to be replaced as an entire unit, hence the higher price. Mechanic at the dealership said he had difficulty getting them out, but it's all done now, and makes for a much smoother drive.

Latest posts