Ready for Nascar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why Jimmy Johnson was even in the race. If anyone on his team was caught cheating, it seems the whole team would be penalized. I'm no fan of NASCAR racing, but it just seems logical to me that penalizing the Crew Chief is a small penalty, and really doesn't address the problem. I'm sure the Crew Chief wasn't the only person involved in whatever was done to the car.

The infraction of the rules by Jimmy Johnson's crew was fixed by simply turning a bolt. The infraction could've been a result of a bolt left loose, allowing the adjustment tube for the panhard bar to be pushed up into the rear window when the bar was adjusted. The problem was quickly fixed and fixed so it wouldn't happen again.

BTW, it hasn't been determined if any other penalties will be handed out.

NASCAR has multiple tests to determine the legality of a car before, and after an official event. Almost no one passes the first time. But, if you're found to be in violation AFTER an event, you are penalized. The crew chief is responsible for the car, his crew, everything; if something is wrong, he gets the blame...that's part of the job.

The reason you don't recognize the names in open wheel is because of the split in open wheel racing. And because outside of the USA, oval racing is almost unheard of, so most kids in other countries learn to race on road circuits, where driving talent is honed. And when you're looking for the best talent in the WORLD...

I'm sure that most of the 'elder' members on this board remember like I do when open wheel racing was the most popular, and nascar was a upstart southern operation. After Tony George started the IRL, open wheel racing lost a lot of it's momentum here. Now what's Tony got? Foreign engine manufacturers, (HONDA) Foreign drivers, most from Champ Car because of lack of sponsorship dollars, and no one in the stands. They FINALLY got smart and started to do some road racing after most all the teams started complaining about the 'Gladiator' racing that is ovals.

Last edited by a moderator: