RE: Sylvania ZXE & Ultras (H13 & 5202)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
Three years ago I replaced my headlight bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar Ultras and love them!

Unfortunately, I still have yet to find the Ultras for my STA fog lights (H16/5202).

After hearing about the ZXE bulbs, combined with the absence of a 5202 in Ultra, I decided to contact Sylvania . . .

My letter:

Currently, I have Silverstar Ultras for my headlights, but still have stock bulbs for my fog lights.

At the time I bought my truck and replaced the OEM bulbs, there was no Silverstar Ultra option for the H16/5202/9009 bulbs. I was hoping that 3 years later the Ultras might be available in H16/5202/9009, but it doesn't appear that they are.

I did however notice that Sylvania now makes the ZXE bulbs, which I understand offer more light than the Ultras.

It is time for me to replace the bulbs again (both headlights and fog lights).

I would like to try the ZXE, however I am curios about the following:

1. Are the ZXE bulbs available for H13/9008?

2. Are the ZXE bulbs available for the H16/5202/9009?

3. Where can I buy the ZXE bulbs locally (zip code 77080)?

4. Are Ultras bulbs yet available for the H16/5202/9009?

5. Short of downgrading to the standard Silverstars or changing manufacturers, how can I affordability replace all the bulbs with matching intensity, color, look, etc.?

Thank you,

Kevin

Their reply:

Good Afternoon Kevin. Thank you for your interest and inquiry in our Sylvania product. We do plan on releasing the H13 SilverStar zXe bulbs this spring but unfortunately, OSRAM SYLVANIA doesnt manufacture part 5202 nor do we make an upgrade that can be used in its place. As much as I dislike saying it, you may need to seek out an alternate lighting manufacturer for 5202 upgrades. A quick search online for 5202 fog light brought up several companies that offer upgrades. Im not familiar with any of these companies or their products so you will need to contact them directly for additional information. I hope that this information proves helpful, and Im sorry that we couldnt be of more immediate assistance to you.

Thank you,

Xxx Xxxxxx

Customer Service Representative

OSRAM SYLVANIA, Inc.

Hillsboro, NH

1-800-729-3777

Not the reply I was hoping for, but at least they were prompt and honest with me!

Now I guess its time to start looking at another brand . . . Any suggestions? Putco, PIAA, Luminics???? . . . . Other than HID, any recommendations? (I'm looking for brightness over color)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been searching the web myself for fog lights, both of mine are out at the moment. If the response was different from sylvania, i could of stopped by there. They are a half hour from me. I think im going to try the luminics myself for fogs. Headlights are stock.

I upgraded my fogs with I think Nokia....not really sure. I'll check, but it wasn't that big of a diffrence. They just look blue'r.

There is a common Headlight bulb that fits in the ST fog..... Its not recomended as it will blind the oncoming drivers But it does fit and works..

Todd Z

When I had my Ranger I found that 9005 all-weather hi-beam bulbs from J.C. Whitney would replace the fog lights and worked pretty good. I still have them but they are being stubborn when it comes to getting them in a Gen 2 Trac. Gen 2 Adrenalins use a different bulb.

Go to the link and click on "Street" in the left margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just replaced my Adrenalin fog lights with 5202 size from:

Nokya H16/5202 35W Arctic White fog light bulbs

http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/fog%20light%20bulbs

These are blue and put out a blueish brighter light than the Ford 5202 yellowish bulbs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I still can't seem to make a decision :sad:

There's just too many to choose from: PIAA, Nykoa, Philips, Luminics, Plasmaglo, Hella, Street Glow, . . . what about Recon? I see they carry Xenon . . .

The problem is that most of the leading "super/ultra/hyper bright" white bulbs favor anything from a slight blue hue to an overwhelming blue . . . . what I'm looking for is as bright as possible, with only a subtle blue appearance. I'm not likely to try them all out, side-by-side, so I'll most likely grab whatever my local retailer has and go with their advise.

I would go with HID, but they changed the law Jan 1 of this year. Without a retro-fit projector kit, I'm sticking with halogen.

Todd, do you recall which bulb fits? I rarely use my fogs and it might be worth a try.

Latest posts