Rattling and growling while driving

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clandress

2007 2WD V6 XLT
Supporting Member
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
Last night while I was driving the truck (V6) I had a couple of episodes where the truck started going slow. I heard a rattling sound, like marbles in a can, and a low pitched growl kind of noise. It stopped after about 10 seconds and ran and drove fine after that. Any ideas as to what was going wrong? It kinda sounded like it was to the left of the engine compartment but that might have been because I was in the driver's seat.

No check engine or flashing engine light indicating a misfire? Diagnostic trouble codes usually don't apply to mechanical drivetrain issues, but I'd scan for stored trouble codes before driving further. Have you heard the same "marbles in a can" rattle after startup or other times? Heard similar symptoms caused by bad gas, but that would not be intermittent and can only be "fixed" by draining the tank. Strange if the engine went into "limp mode" and returned to normal 10 seconds later. Keep posted.

Although I doubt this is ur issue, when I lost my front drive shaft d/t wear, it sounded just like what ur describing to the left of the engine (rear joint failed). Whether or not ur engaged in 4WD, that driveshaft spins. Maybe it was binding up? Long shot but maybe worth crawling under it and shaking it and/or engage ur 4WD and maybe try to get the sound to reproduce?

Best of luck!

Clandress has a 2WD truck.

@steve…..thanks! @clandress….don’t listen to Benner!!! Lol

Rookie mistake!

I checked but there are no codes and the check engine light isn't lit. The tracking light came on but it has gone off. I've driven the truck for a few short trips since w/no problem. I'll try some longer distance trips this week and see if it recurs.

Latest posts