Rattle under the trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel Pilgrim

Reaction score
I have trying to search Down for almost a year now a rattle under the trac. Does not bother me much unless windows are open. Can hear when front wheels:banana: hits a pot hole or rough pavement. I took the running boards off this weekend and did some checking under the trac. Noticed the bolts on the passenger side rear of the torsion bar were a bit loose. Anyone found issues with this area? I am going to recheck all the bolts again but if you hit the plate at the rear of the torsion bar it sounds loose.

Any ideas? Are there any washers or pads in there that can wear out?

Thx

Mel

Mel- Are the two bolts holding the cover plates loose and causing the noise?

Have you checked the lower control arm bushings and other suspension parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Replaces lower ball joint & upper ball joint.

As for the cover plate yes it was two bolts that were lose.

I tightened them some but not sure ho much torque to use.

Torsion bar cover plate bolts @ 41 ft/lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The heat shield from the cats above the transmision, Han ben known to come loose.

also if it is the sheilds on the cats, are loose. You canput a large hose clamp around it. it.

They both can rattle and drive you nuts.

Thanks all. Will tighten the cover bolts and check the heat shields.

What seems strange is it comes and goes. Sometimes it is not there then it comes back.

Sounds like a loose bolt in the frame rail.

Mel

What seems strange is it comes and goes. Sometimes it is not there then it comes back.

Seems almost all rattles are intermittent. Then you solve one, another will surface. :banghead:

Seems almost all rattles are intermittent. Then you solve one, another will surface

Thats right,swshawaii. His real name is rattle man...:bwahaha:

Steve I couldnt help it........:bwahaha:

I feel defeated, I'm at the point where I'm actually listening for noises.

Don't understand why they bother me so much now, never did before. :cry:

The heat shield from the cats above the transmision, Han ben known to come loose.

Yep, I think that's what's rattling under my Trac right now. I'm thinking that I didn't secure it tightly the last time I dropped the tranny pan to change the filter. That heat shield is a pain in the @$$ to remove & replace.:angry:

Latest posts