Rattle noise when put in gear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Jorczyk

Reaction score
When I start my Sport trac I do not have any noises, but as soon as I put it in gear I hear a rattle. It appears to be coming from the Alternator. Can an alternator make a rattle noise when it is going bad. It is still charging fine

Thanks

Greg

I'd get the car up and inspect the driveshaft, motor mounts and transmission mount. Transmission fluid level correct?

I agree with Vic. Other places to look are exhaust hangers, clamps, heatshields, etc. while your under checking things. My thinking is if its only when you are engaging it and then during normal operation goes away its not something major but don't quote me. If you're thinking it sounds like the alternator I'd check all the pullies and idler pullie brgs too. Keep us posted as anything new is knowledge!

How many miles on your Trac? Strange noises can be very difficult to track or diagnose, especially from inside the cab. If you had a bad alternator it would make noise regardless of whether car is in gear or not. You say your rattle comes when drivetrain is under load. Do you notice it when stationary or only when moving? I like Carl's advice about checking the exhaust too.

Never heard an Altenator rattle only in gear. Check the mounting bolts. I suspect something else though.

If its not an exhaust shield, or cover, and its under the hood by the alternator, it could be the serp belt tensioner rattling ...

Todd Z

I also agree with Vic, Eddie, Carl, and Todd. I doubt that it is the Alternator.

Probably more likely a loose exhaust pipe or hanger, heat shield, or some other accessory that is loose...perhaps some linkage or the belt tensioner. Often when you put the vehicle in gear the RPM drops a bit and that can cause a bit of vibration that makes something loose to rattle. Press on the brake and give it a little gas and see if the rattle goes away with higher RPM. Exhaust pipes can rattle at certain RPMs that is at a certain vibration frequency that comes and goes with engine RPM changes.

...Rich

Latest posts