Random Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Fields

Reaction score
Are amber strobe lights illegal for civilian use?

haha, I plan on participating in a college storm spotting club and wanted to put some amber strobe lights on my dash, behind my grille, and in my rear windows. Just asking before i spend money for something i cant use

Depends on your Local laws....

Here in NY Amber is allowed on construction and tow vehicles, and can only be used when performing those functions......

Todd Z

You'll have to check your particular state laws but generally amber is legal to use as a warning light. I have a brand new in the box Whelen DashMiser dual strobe in amber I'll make you a deal on. Single flash pattern, $75 + shipping.

I'm gunna pass on the lights Steve :) for now at least haha. Looks like I need to dig around the IN law books and see what i can and cant have.

I searched for the Indiana State Code, and within about 30 seconds I found this. Maybe it's what you need:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/ch6.html

It sure does thank you noheat. I was actually on that page earlier today and skimmed it... So when u gave me the link I read it determined to prove u wrong lol.

As long as my lights are flashing sinotaniously it's ok. :) thanks again

I think alternating warning lights are technically not legal here either but nobody seems to enforce it. Now alternating headlights are another matter. That'll get PoPo's attention real fast!

If you are storm chasing, can you use your emergency flashers??? I don't think adding amber lights to your grille is really any difference than using the emergency flashers already on your vehicle?

....Rich

Rich - Thats what I thought, but my Grandpa is our county's highway supervisor and insisted stobes or any flashing lights besides the vehicles emergency lights were illegal. But I figured if I have a storm spotter license and am only using them when doing that I should be ok. Just show the officer the card and explain...

Tyler,

I agree. If you are a storm chaser, have the ID, and you are not speeding, etc. Then it should not be a problem. It might even be good to have a sign or two on your vehicle when you are chasing a storm with your flashers on so that any Police will know you are not some random A-hole..:grin:

....Rich

Steve, thanks for the light. I put 3 inch suction cups on (bolted) and they work great. Thanks again.

1aa0f2d88bcbb2a1cc98839f1aea5e86.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts