RAM Air Intake Maybe???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Hertel

Reaction score
So Im thinking about getting the Cold Air Intake kit. But while i was looking at all the projects and posts about it, it hit me.... Why hasnt anyone put a RAM air intake on a sport trac.... The intake manifold is right there in the middle of the hood (almost).... why not put a hood scoop that accually works and then put the intake up... Like the classic cars that have the carborators on the top... do something like that except almost straight from the intake...

So if your having a hard time visualizing what im saying.... Remove the long hose that connects the current intake filter..... shorting it to about right out of the intake... go up..... cut hole in hood... add filters and hood scoop.... BAM true cold air intake and RAM Air Intake.....

So let me know what you think

They make a "shaker" hood with a scoop like the Bullit Mustang has, and they also sell a kit to make it a functional scoop. The hoop is about $900, and I think the ram air kit adds about $200 more.

ST Sails,

It isn't possible to do it the way you're describing it. First, you still have the MAF housing between the air filter and the throttle body. Second, the intake angles out to the throttle body, and isn't exactly centered under the hood. That, and the added length of of the MAF and air filter would have it off center to the passenger's side.

Here's a link to the shaker hood setup to which Dan Long referred.

be81f21d7fde7da4a9843c95867d5901.jpg

Why would it result in worse performance, Bill?:huh:

If what you say is correct, then why do you have a "ram air fan" (supercharger) on your Roush Mustang?:blink:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is called AIR FLOW, you may be able to just blow into the filter and get the same result:)

You cannot force air into a MAF controlled engine N/A.

Train,

ya the shaker hood scoop wouldnt work... seen it and thats not part of my master plan

it would go lower on the hood.

2nd... the MAF would connect directly to the intake.... No tubes or pipes or nothing offsetting ti to the passenger side like your thinking... im going short sweet and to the point

The general idea is to get true fresh air into the engine consistantly and in mass quantities

Blowing air from a garage compressor isn't going to be the same as driving down the highway with a RAM Air setup. For one you're talking about going from a high concentration to a low consentration vs a low concentration to a high concentration using a Ram. It's simply not like blowing your filter with a compressor. The volume of airflow just isn't there.

Why can't you force air into a MAF controlled engine NA? Isn't the WS6 Ram Air LS1 a MAF "controlled" engine?

the MAF would connect directly to the intake.... No tubes or pipes or nothing offsetting ti to the passenger side like your thinking... im going short sweet and to the point

First, the MAF won't connect directly to the intake, because you have the throttle body between the MAF and the intake.

Second, it would still be offset from center, because the intake to TB connection angles out towards the passenger side.

Look more closely at your engine again, and you'll see that it just won't work the way you'd like for it to...

Any turbulant air under the hood will disrupt the maf, my roush is not drivable with the air cleaner cover off because I have air ducts into the engine compartment.

Go ahead and force air into the intake, than you will understand, maybe.

I actually saw a ST with a shaker in person. Doesn't look all that bad. Kinda small for the size of the hood.

I think pro-glass made a shaker (real pricey) but basically non- functional in the forced air induction program (that will not work work anyhow)

maybe good for heat extraction, which is a good thing to a very minor degree, very Minor.

The shaker was made By Good Hoods.

Marketed through Keystone.

I called them directly and had them give me a Shipping Number and a ship date.

Got a call a day latter telling me they only could find the Hood. Not the Scoop.

So needless to say.. I didnt get it..

so the ones that are out there are the only ones. I have searched High and Low.. No luck.. they are not in production nor sitting in a wharehouse.

Ram air from a cowl intake is laminar. It basically is a high pressure intake and will increase the amount of air getting into your engine. Your Mass air flow sensor will detect the flow differences in my opinion. I don't see where the problem lies. The compressed air method you state is definitely not laminar in flow.