Radio Removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Keller

Reaction score
Do you have to use the "ford radio removal tools" or is there any kind of invention u can jig up to make it work the same. Let me know if you have removed the factory radio with something else besides the ford tools.

And if you have to use the tools, what kind of store locally is going to carry them? Best Buy, Autozone? I live in metro Atlanta if that helps any.

Thanks for your help guys

2 hands.

Take out the bezel--best if you unscrew the side with the window control (cause if you unplug it, you have to reset the window), then squeeze the clips in, and push the radio forward to get it out.

I just did it. It took a brief moment of frustration, but it wasn't bad. Though a set of tools would save hassle, they are Far from required.

i was just looking on ebay, i found a set for 3.84+2.99 shipping. that is cheap enough for me.

Thanks Kevin and Clay for your inputs.

You can get them at checkers for $6. I just had to purchase them for my friends mustang the other day. We tried with coat hangers for an hour, but could only get half of the radio out at a time. We eventually said f it and drove the whole 2 minutes to checkers.

Cut coat hanger = Free

4 small nails or 4 small screwdrivers, Works every time for me

Todd Z

there you go todd, why to be creative. i actually saw a guy a couple of years ago that was making them out of the handles on paint cans. seem to work pretty well

Scosche DT-1 tool. A pair costs less than $10 on eBay. Scosche products are also sold in stores where they sell car radios, but I didn't check for this particular part since I got it on eBay. It's a U-shaped piece of metal wire, not very big. It's so small that the eBay seller just stuck it in an envelope with a 41-cent first-class stamp. Very easy to use.

I bought the tool and still ended up taking the bezel off. Radio would not budge using the tool. It felt as though one side was jammed.

I would recommend the 7mm socket and remove the bezel. It's so much easier.

Radio would not budge using the tool. It felt as though one side was jammed.

You were doing it wrong. There is a trick to doing it. Once you got the feel, it is simple.

Tom

You were doing it wrong. There is a trick to doing it. Once you got the feel, it is simple.

well...I guess we can't all be experts can we? I suppose the 'trick' is also a secret since you failed to explain it.

The 'trick' is clearly explained in the little instruction sheet that comes with the Scosche DT-1 tool.

You insert a U-shaped tool into the holes on one side. Also on the other side. Then spread the two tools apart, tool on the right pushed to the right and the one of the left to the left. Then straighten the tools. You've now released the radio from its mounts.

Finally pull both tools toward you. The radio slides out as easy as you please.

A photo of the tool and these instructions can be found in a very recent thread here re. stuck buttons.