Radiator replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Price 2

Reaction score
Just an FYI. I just replaced my radiator tonight. I got 160K out of the original. Pretty easy/relaxing job. Didn't even have to remove the fan. It had a very small 3 inch crack on the passenger side-side of the tank. Just below the upper hose and right down the center. Kinda weird I thought. Cooling system was/is in great shape. All new hoses, cap, thermostat and flush in the past year. I just always figured it would crack at the plastic and aluminum seam. I just got the Spectra 1 inch core. I wasn't sure if the 2+ inch would fit or be beneficial. It seemed like it would fit though. My temps are always good anyhow. They listed it as an option on Rockauto.

Oh, didn't lose any trans fluid. (maybe a few drops) I bought a quart just in case though. Also, removed the overflow and washer jugs to clean out, cleaned MAF and throttle plate since I had easy access. Disconnected the battery for safety and a re-learn. That's just my OCD kicking in though. (I found a re-learn is good sometimes with the K&N drop in filter. I got rid of my pinging uphill one time that way)(It was shortly after cleaning/re-oiling as well)

I am curious to do a electrolysis test in the coolant when I get a chance.

Anywho, I'm just rambling now. Thanks for reading

I am curious to do a electrolysis test in the coolant when I get a chance.

As long as you used motorcraft or the zerex GO-5 coolant. You should be ok.

From past postings. It apears the the tank splits where yours did.

Good job Mark. Always dreaded changing radiators because I've been cut on those sharp cooling fins every time. I'm one of those that can't work with gloves, no matter the task. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie,

What is your reasoning behind the use of a certain coolant and the chance of electrolysis or am I just misunderstanding your statement?

Scott,

I was under the impression, that. There is something to do with the additives and chemical reation. Is why we should use a Ford specific coolant. The only 2 out there is motorcraft and the zerex G 05.

I had a non ford mechanic tell me. Use only ford specific because of that. I asked him what about the new peak coolant. It is green and claims for any service or coolant type. He said, no not for any ford that calls for,ford gold specific. He said, something about chemical reactions and electrolysis, being a problem eating away at aluminum. This was a few years ago. I dont remember exacts..

Eddie

I've never heard that about the additives in the coolant. I do know that I have had electrolysis issues with many a Ford that were using the gold coolant but come to think of it it is getting less and less. I wonder if they just changed the secret recipe of the coolant within the past few years and now the issues are starting to diminish.

Latest posts