Radiator difference for Gen 2 Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
I know which radiator I need to buy for my trac (build 07/06) but was curious as to what had changed on 08/07/06 that needs a different radiator. Is it the trans cooling lines are a different size?

Mine has 82k miles on it and has started seeping at the spot where the metal is clamped to the plastic top tank. I have yet to see any wet spots on the floor of the garage and can't see any wet spots anywhere on the motor or hoses, but I can smell it when I stop at traffic lights/park it and walk around it. I can see a "crust" along the seam however that would indicate seepage, and judging by when others have replaced theirs, mine has passed the date and is on borrowed time.

Call 1800 Radiator and Just see what they have, OR check part numbers on Rockauto.com

Most aftermarkets may fitt all years and Most of the time ford changes a number due to cost, or manfacturer or supplier..

Todd Z

I can't tell from my catalog images, but there must definately be something different, since the later models are less than half the price!:banghead: However, I did have both on the shelf, and I can't see anything different just by eyeballing it.

Only a 16 dollar difference between the two Spectra Premium brand parts on Rockauto, so not bank breaking. Just curious as to what the difference was. The stats between the two are identical as far a size/cores goes. The trans cooler lines look slightly larger in the earlier model radiator, but it might just be the way the photo was taken (They have different images for each one on Rockauto)

Zerex GO5 coolant looks to be the only option to refill unless I want to go to Ford and get the fluid. NAPA carries that locally for me at $14 a gallon undiluted.

I will also be ordering the trans disconnect kit of the lines going into the radiator. Anyone know the size of the lines? Going to get this kit to do that part of the job:

The trans cooler lines look slightly larger in the earlier model radiator, but it might just be the way the photo was taken

Sounds like you're aware of the fitting leak issues after replacing with aftermarket radiators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same subject from EF:

Sounds like you're aware of the fitting leak issues after replacing with aftermarket radiators.

Yes, I have read about them, but in each case it appears that the plastic retainer clips were never reinstalled. Now if they were just left off because the mechanic figured they weren't needed, or because they no longer fit is the question.

Also this may be the difference in the aftermarket rads where it is of the "universal" type not taking into consideration the build date. The ones without the build date option are usually the less expensive ones it seems.

Next search for me will be locating the dipstick/fill port on the side of the 6 speed trans. I know it is there, but haven't looked for it myself yet.

And thanks for the two links there. I had seen them before, but lost them in all my searches. Good to to have them here in my thread!

Mine had a cracked upper tank last year. Replaced at the dealer on extended warranty. :supercool:

Same thing as you have, I could smell it but nothing was leaking onto the ground. I think it was a small leak and it would evaporate from the heat of the radiator as it dripped its way down. After that I switched to a 16 lb cap from the stock 18 lb unit. My son's 2000 Mustang uses a 16 lb cap that fit the Trac, so that's what I asked for at the parts store.

Mine had a cracked upper tank last year. Replaced at the dealer on extended warranty. :supercool:

Same thing as you have, I could smell it but nothing was leaking onto the ground. I think it was a small leak and it would evaporate from the heat of the radiator as it dripped its way down. After that I switched to a 16 lb cap from the stock 18 lb unit. My son's 2000 Mustang uses a 16 lb cap that fit the Trac, so that's what I asked for at the parts store.

After that I switched to a 16 lb cap from the stock 18 lb unit.

Interesting. Mine had a 20 pound cap on it new (4.6L though) and I replaced it with a 20 pounder before I drove form Los Angeles to Tuscon last summer when I checked the system over. Only one I could find locally was a "Murray" Brand from O'Reilly's. I have sice replaced that with a Stant 20 pounder just because I know nothing about "Murray" and felt better with it on there.

Rockauto lists 20 pound caps in Gates and Stant brand, and the Motorcraft one lists a 16lbs size, but the photos show 20. Wonder what the real deal is? Usually Rockauto will show "O.E. is xxx" (replacing the thermostat when I do my radiator and it says OE is 192, replace with 195)

Checked for the difference on cap pressure for 4.0 and 4.6 and they are the same parts.

I doubt that dropping the pressure 2 psi will do anything other than lower the boiling point of the coolant, reducing the capacity of the cooling system on a hot day / high load condition.

I was just wondering what the actual cap was supposed to be PSI wise. His had a 18 on it factory, mine had a 20, but Rockauto has 20's and a Motorcraft 16, but doesn't say which is correct. I don't think that the 4PSI difference is going to blow out the plastic to metal tank joint, but there has to be the straw that breaks the back somewhere...

For what it's worth, I just looked and my 07 4.6L has a 20PSI cap. It's the original cap from the factory. So far no radiator leak issues but I only have 66K.....

I dont see the point of a 18 or 20 psi cap.

But I have never studied the 3V cooling system. Required motor temp and pump pressure, etc...

My moms 2V 4.6 is a 16psi..That is what I was sold and what was on it.

For what it's worth, I just looked and my 07 4.6L has a 20PSI cap. It's the original cap from the factory.

What is your build date? (On the drivers door jamb on the sticker). Is it a Job1 Gen2 (prior to 08/07/06) or a Job2 Gen2 (08/08/06 and later)? They each list a different radiator and I wonder if the PSI of the cap changed then.

Ok, trying to figure if my ST is a Job 1 or Job 2 because I now have a failing radiator at 130,000 miles.

My sticker on the door only have 08/06, so is that the date the month/year or the month/day? I thought I had a Job 2 because I have the additonal door handle cups, but mine didn't come with the power rear window.

[Broken External Image]:

I know the actual date mine came off the line because I ordered it. Window sticker even has my name printed on it. My door sticker does only say 07/06 on it though. I had the dealer ready with my order as soon as the rear window was available and going down the line. The submitted it as soon as it was possible.

Mine has the rear window and no door cups, just the handle.

Sorry I'm not much help. Not sure if it was ever determined on what the radiator difference between the J1 and J2 in the Gen 2 is or not.

After reading more 0on the radiator cap here and on other sites I have ordered a 16psi cap to replace the 20psi that came stock. When I do my radiator change (in a couple weeks) I'll put that on instead. Read the links that were posted above in this thread and make you decision on if you want to stick with the 20 pounder or go with the 16.

Latest posts