Rack & Pinion Torque

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Santana

Reaction score
Changed a leaky rack and pinion on my "03". Test drive revealed my whole rack would shift around a bit during turning, left ot right. I checked torque and crancked it up to 148ft/lb... It really is tight but I question it because it seems the bushing are really squeezed. This is really tight is it correct? How does one tell if the rack is properly centered? It feels better now and does not move with tire turning, but I am still kinda leary... Should I just get the alignment now and not worry?

I would get it aligned because the threaded tie rod ends may not be in the exact same position which will effect your toe-in/tow-out....That wears tires out very fast! Sometimes you can get an alignment shop to just check the toe-in, but if you have not had an alignment in a while, it's probably well worth the investment.

...Rich

Did you use new bushings?

The rack unit will center itself.

As Richard said, you can only get the toe close. With measurement or counting threads. So you maybe feeling, an oddness in when turning. Alighnment needed.

Oh I am absolutely getting an alignment and 4 new tires. I changed out the control arms ball joints and tie rod end too. My question was regarding the rack itself. Yes it came with new bushings but I wanted to be sure it was correctly seated within the frame. It self aligns seems to be what I am hearing...

Air in the system still ??? It took my st almost a week after i changed the fluid..

Todd Z

Funny Todd the air I guess is all set. I filled the reseviour once and it took it in, bubbling all the way. I topped it off and it seems to be all set??? I did go in and reseat the rack on the frame and torqued it to 148foot/lbs and I torqued the pressure lines to 15in/lbs.... They still swivel but I guess thats ok.

I changed control arms, ball joints, tierod ends to Moog parts then I changed the bushings on the endlinks to the energy suspension bushings. the Moog Bushings were all squished up and broken apart... I then got 4 new shoes and tried to get it aligned. There was a problem with camber adjustments on the passenger side. This is the side I went from a 2 peice upper control arm to a one piece design. I had to buy the camber bolts from rock auto for 20 bucks. I bought both side and put them on last night. Of course the driver side was sort of a pain to back the old bolts out of the control arm. It seemed too tight but I did it and now back for an alignment ...... Hopefully all is well in wonderland.

I will say however that the trac compared to by 2002 trailblazer seems to be much more prone to repairs.... But it's a good looking truck and it's paid for sooooo..

joseymack

Latest posts