Rack & Pinion leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
2001 ST 4x4

I've been leaking power steering fluid for a couple of weeks now. Finally got under there to check it out a little more thoroughly and found a leak in one of the hoses going to the rack & pinion fluid cooler. I was hoping one my ST bretheren could advice me on how to repair it? Thanks! (Picture with awesome photoshoping enclosed)

c266092e6957c9070ceac364ac1158a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"replace the hose" is just too simple. :) I'm thinking of cutting the solid line right about where my upside down smiley face is and hose clamping a flexible line to it and then to the stem of the cooler. What type of hose should I use?

OR..... can I buy a replacement from a dealer?

If you want to "rig" it then cut the crimp(part you have circled) in half where the rubber hose meets the steel line. Peel the crimp off and then remove the hose from the line. Do the same thing at the other end of the line and then replace the hose with the same sized transmission hose..anything else won't hold up to the fluid. It's not a permanent repair though and will be just a matter of time before it starts to leak again

Thanks guys. I found the part on Ford's parts website. Looks like you have to buy the hose and the fitting. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow or Monday and order it.

Finished up the replacement of the line. Just thought I'd post this for future reference, in case someone searches the same issue. Pretty easy job to do. This is the return line. Part numbers are F57Z*3R608*BA for the fitting and F77Z*3A713*FB for the return line.

Start by cutting the line just below the fitting on the top, i used a mini hacksaw. Allow fluid to drain until it stops.

Then remove the clamp on the rubber hose part of the line. I then used a utility knife to cut the rubber hose for easier removal.

Remove the damaged line from the cooler stem.

Remove the nuts holding the cooler to the frame and let cooler hang free. It makes reinstalling everything MUCH easier.

Remove the fitting from the rack and pinion (I believe it was an 18mm).

Install new fitting

Install new hose on the cooler stem

Push top end into the fitting (once it goes in, it wont pull back out)

Reinstall clamp on rubber hose

Reinstall nuts for the cooler brackets to the frame.

Refill resovoir, should take less then a quart of power steering fluid.

Test by starting engine and check for leaks. Turn the wheel back and forth.

Latest posts