Rack and Pinion?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Hey guys. I finally bought the ST to have the steering looked at. The issue is that I basically have zero power assist at low speeds (parking lot, local street driving) I replaced the power steering pump, but the issue still occurred. I took it to a mechanic today and he wants to replace the entire power steering system. (pump, line, and rack and pinion.) for the tune of $1500. He said the pump isn't putting out any pressure. I have no idea how he determined this. I just wanted some feedback / suggestions as to what you guys may think the problem is as I genuinely do not think that the pump is bad since I literally just replaced it about a month ago and the issue still occurred exactly as it did prior. As always thanks so much for any advice.

Did you use the TSB pump or just a ST replacement.... There is a higher out put pump..

Todd Z

Not sure what kind I used, probably a standard one as it was what the guy at Advanced Auto gave me, and all I did was provide make / model. But it made no difference whatsoever in the steering effort. Still basically no power steering assist.

Sounds like your mechanic has no clue either, just wants to change the whole system. Find a new mechanic.

Les, you are totally right. I was really put off by the whole situation, and actually went and picked up the ST without him replacing anything. I am now determined to hopefully fix this myself. Quick question...how would I bleed the lines to make sure there isn't any air in them? I know how to bleed brakes but am not quite sure how to bleed the P/S system.. Thanks again as always.

Fill reservoir to specified level. Run engine untill operating temp. (165*-175*) Recheck fluid level, top off as necessary. With engine running turn steering wheel from stop to stop untill decreases and no bubbles are present.

(DO NOT hold against lock. This creates extreme pressure and may damage pump.)

Repeat the above step if needed before continuing below..

First step repeat above step.

If whine continues apply vacume to opening of power steering resivour. This can be done with a #11 rubber stopper with tubing plummed into the stopper. Attach to source of vaccum (AC pump is suggested) DO NOT use engine vacuum. Make sure fluid level is far enough away to no be ingested. Start engine let idle for about 15 minutes. Turn the steering wheel every 5 minutes to aid removal of air.

Remove stopper, check fluid level.

One thing I learned in the process is when you think you have it blead, do the whole process again. it really takes some time to get all the air out, and everytime you think you did you find more air.

patients is key

Thank you for the quick response as always Todd! So basically I am just looking for bubbles forming in the reservoir as I turn the wheel etc, and then refill accordingly? I don't think air in the lines is my issue, as I basically have no power steering at all, but I am definitely going to try this first. Thanks again for the help, I will keep you all updated.

Latest posts