Rabies Shots

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary DiPietroSr

Reaction score
Just got home from the hospital. Was feeding and petting a stray cat who seemed very friendly until he became scared and bit me on the finger. He acted like nothing happened and still wanted to be rubbed. That was this morning. When my wife came home she freaked out because she works for the health dept. So off to the hospital, and right in the next room was a 5 yr. old getting rabies shots too. He had a dog bite. I got 7 shots tonight. More to follow, 1 in 3 days, then 1 in 7 days, 1 more at 14 and the last at 28 days, plus antibiotics for 2 weeks. I guess I'll be more careful when feeding strays. We could put the cat in quarantine for 10 days and wait, that's if I can catch him. But if he gets run over or killed by a coyote before I can do that , I would never know, so I got the shots and don't have to worry. If you are wondering, they were no big deal.

Gary D.

P.S. Good thing I cleaned the ST today for Sunday's car show, my arms, legs and butt might be sore tomorrow :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang! Why 7 shots? All in one place?

Siamese cats will attack and bite without warning. My cats bite me when I am not petting them enough or giving them enough attention. My dog bites me when I try to trim his toenails. So far my wife hasn't bit me.

Gavin, it was 1 in the finger at the bite site, 1 in each arm, 1 in each thigh and 1 on each upper butt cheek:wub:. Don't feel too bad at all this morning, 1 arm is a little sore.

Just have to go back for the single shots, (4).

Nelson, thanks for the link.

gary, smart move on going to the hospital. better safe than sorry. last year we had a nasty stray cat around our house and i was always sure all of us would not go near it for the same reason.

glad to hear you are doing ok and good luck at the show.

btw, do you wan't me to send bernie over on the ferry to take care of business with that cat :lol:

[Broken External Image]:

Frankly, I can't figure why so many injections. Rabies immune globulin in split dosing at site and then intramuscular, tetanus toxoid if not current (presume you weren't), first rabies post-exposure vaccination, and possible an antibiotic though this is traditionally given by mouth (Augmentin in non-penicillin allergic patients). That's five maximum. What else did they give you?

Ouch, that sucks.....

live and learn..

Todd Z

Thanks gary, yeah, by the time the symptoms show up, it's too late, your going to die.

Mike, like that one:lol:.

Teasip, they told me that it goes by body weight, it was a tetanus, plus all the others because I'm 190lbs. Did I just type that:wub:!

Last edited by a moderator: