R1 Rotors/Akebono Pads/Brembo Covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone Ever Used These? I added R1 Concept Rotors - cross drilled and grooved - then added the Ceramic Akebono Pads. I think that with the growing set up of this Supercharged Project, these will look nice behind Black Chrome wheels. [Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good braking. Short pad life and watch for cracks between the drilled holes. They dont like alot of heat. Racers have to change rotors often.

If you dont mind short pad life. Sloted and or dimpled are better for street service.

Im a very spirited driver. Stock rotors and calipers with performance friction pads. The hotter the pads get the better they stop. Just alot of dust.

Im not dis'ing you. You have a very good braking system.

Been lucky with the Jaguar 161K one set of rotors/no cracks and second set of pads. I hope that doesnt happen with a heavier machine. Were the cracked ones R1?

Aaron, I realy dont remember what a few freinds had that cracked. Some member on this board have cracked drilled. Not sure what they had. Maybe they will chime in.

by EddieS'04,3/14/2011 17:38 MT

. Short pad life and watch for cracks between the drilled holes.

Becasue of the rotors? The Akebono ceramic pads have become my pad of choice and of all the vehicles that I have installed them on over the last 2 or so years the life has been fantastic and almost zero brake dust along with better stopping ability.

Scott,,Other members on here have complained that the Slots have caused the pads to wear faster. Including ceramics. So have some of my racing freinds.

I think Todd Z, had the pad wear problem with ceramics on sloted only rotors. There have been members that posted pics on here of their drilled rotors with cracks between the holes.

I agree with others that ceramics dust is not as noticeable. I have also heard stories from my friends that drive fast and hard. The hotter they got the ceramics, they fade sooner. Other than that they brake good and last long time on street rotors.

Each to his own descision. Im getting excellent fade free braking with stock rotors and performance friction pads. For that I willing will clean my wheels.

i think it depends on the combo. The two need to work together. My current daily driver gets up an goes and I brake hard over half the time. After reading this thread, I went to the garage and looked. Lots of miles on the R1's and not one crack visible from the eye and a LED light. Wrong pads will overheat and break down rotors so the combo you choose has to compliment each other. It also depends on the rotors ability to shed heat and the way it was made or treated after, cryogenics helps make these extra strong.

The stock system fades fast, always leaves a smell hanging, and I could see heat vapors escaping the Adrenalin wheels when I got home. It meant something had to change and heaven forbid I challenge myself with change with adding a blower and then slowing down. That, I couldn't possibly do.

Eddie

I could see the holes or slots in the rotors causing shotened pad life. I was just referring to the Akebono pads in general. I have not installed them on any vehicle that has had drilled or slotted rotors so I can't speak for how well they wear in that situation.

I have brakeperformance.com pads and rotors - Bob C. has them too - his have been installed a a few weeks longer than mine. I have about 18K miles with no cracking, just alot of brake dust. Braking power was noticeably better with the new rotors and semi metallic pads. Still too early to judge brake pad life at this point...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yeah, I used the drilled/slotted rotor for brakeperfomance.com and orsered a set of thier ceramic pads which lasted less than a year. I put in a set of Wagner Thermo-quiet" ceramic pads and have had no issues since. Except for a rear caliper siezing and destroying the pads.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts