Question to members about ST Events..What is your thought?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy me

Reaction score
A few of us that have hosted or orginized meets in the past local or otherwise have wondered....

Do folks really like to attend these kinds of events? For an organizer it's disappoiting to go all out only to have a handfull of folks show up.

More and more orginizers drop from doing this because of the lack of interest and attendance.

What ARE YOUR thoughts?

What do you like to see at such an event?

I am curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a new Trac owner, I've never been to one. But given everyone's interest in their vehicles here, I'd definitely be interested in a meet up in Louisville. I'd like to see where my new toy was made (even if they're not making them quite the same way anymore).

I would like to go to one, I have never been either. I would just like to see what other people have done in person to their Tracs. But trying to find time with stupid college is another story though.

Personally, I truly enjoy ST events! I co-hosted the first AZ meet, attended the 2005 Vegas meet & I was Sr organizer for the 2nd Annual & South West Regional ST Meets held in AZ. and also I helped some on the committe & attended the 4th Annual National Sport Trac meet in Dallas.

I like both styles to just go hang out no frills, and the organized meets as well.

The no frill meets are very casual, no big deal maybe picnic or bbq hang out, oogle over member's ST's mods, maybe cruise the Sts around town. No pressure to be somewhere at a certain time other than the start of the meet time, the people are always great!

The organized meets, I enjoy *i like prizes* scheuduled events to attend *always interesting* food, people, contests lots of fun!

Keep the posts coming!

Being some one that has gone to several and hosted some, I love it.. I like meeting people with the same likes as me... I do like to drive and i have driven over 600 miles to go to meets that only 3 trucks where at...

The thing is that peoples busy lives don't normally allow for many events.. So if you have a small in state event that is great.. If then there are 2 national meets, you may have lower attendance...

Carlisle PA has a HUGE all ford NATIONAL event every year... over 17,000 cars and trucks...

THIS would be a great place to meet... It is the same time and place every year,, camping and hotels available.. Everyone pays their own way.... And all you need is some paperwork about our club, and we get our own designated area and truck group class and judging....

I have thought about trying to organize a another national meet, But I have received only 1 email from people willing to help me out... I In no way will do it alone, and do not have the resources to talk to ford about one....

So Maybe the local or regional meets are a great idea...

Todd Z

Depends mostly on location and distance. I live near Pittsburgh, ergo I'm not going to travel to a meet in Texas. OTOH Carlisle is a day trip, been to the Ford Nationals a few times and I don't bother staying overnight. Thing I think is to have several spread out around the country and post pics for everybody else. Combining with an existing show to get a ST contingent to show up is a good idea. There are three big ones every summer where I live and not too far off the PA Turnpike, and admission and entry is free.

This was covered in the post after the national ST meet in Texas. I think everyone would love to attend a meet at some point , once a year or what have you, but sometimes , well everytime, it is hard to pick a time and place to satisfy everyone at the same time.....

I think that people enjoy any kind of event and would love to go. These days it's harder to get people together thanks to the 9000% busier lives everyone has.

I've had events planned weeks and months in advance, paid in advance type things like paintball or fishing trips, where on the day of the event, no one shows up, or very few, or on a good day 1 to none no-show.

It's really frustrating for the organizer, and can even feel somewhat insulting, personal... but it's just really disappointing to have planned 50 people and have 3 show up. My worst event, I had 17 people signed up to form my team. Unfortunately none showed, we needed to split up the people that showed up from the other side, and those from the "other" team ended up leaving early.

Saturdays are bad for events, due to friday night:

I got called in to work (sooo common in IT, I was dispatched to Miami during the LI meet)

I got really drunk

There was this girl

My kid was / had...

My spouse's ....

My car...

My house...

My (insert body part) was acting up. (may be related to the girl in #3 above).

Saturday is generally the day to get things done.

However I would suggest that you guys that do arrange event, figure out a way for people to donate some money to the event, or charge $5 a head. It will help you from absorbing the full brunt and allow everyone to help out. I think you'll find that people are willing to part with a few bucks, even in advance. Then you'll still have no-shows and be frustrated anyway. If you've ever arranged an event, you'll know that attendance is the most important thing. Someone once told me "so what, you have their share of the $ for the field, you're not out any $". Yes, but I have that many less players, and the more people playing, the better.

Sundays are better for events, but people like to leave early since they need to go to work the next day. Sundays are great for fishing and paintball. It's a general day for lounging around. Even if you attend services, you have most of the day available to you after that, and can get to an event (depending on time and travel).

Fishing and paintball are pre-paid events running between $25 and $50. It goes to show that money isn't the issue, sometimes people commit and still don't have the courtesy to show up, feeling it's okay because they paid. For this reason, if I'm not 95% sure I can make it, I won't sign up for any event. I mean the unexpected problem or emergency is understandable, but don't come to me explaining how you needed to get some (insert other person's body part here) or get wasted, that's just rude.

Maybe I should set up a MYST paintball meet. :D

What if a meet local or national came up and you could convoy with a group to the same meet? Would that draw more interest for you? I rather think it's fun to do that to or from any meet.

A National meet is only once a year, What would make you TRAVEL a distance to go to one or What would it take to draw your interest for you to really want to go?

Thoughts?

Keep the posts coming!

Would not carpool..., But would and have convoied...

I like to be my own person... I would want the feeling to know I could come and go as I please, and do what I want..., Plus I would want to show off my truck !!!:rolleyes:

The funny thing is I would never turn down driving some one to a meet...:)

As far as making meets, I would simply need time in advance and nothing going at home..

If I know now of a national meet next year I will be there,. A local meet in-state or only a state away, I would only need like a month of planning...

Todd Z

I have done both, and enjoy doing both. I agree with most of what has already been discussed above. When we went down to Kingman, AZ for the meet that GM organized it was because of the tour of the Ford Proving Ground which made it a great 2 day event. I haven't organized one mostly because of other things going on in our lives, so possibly I'll organize one this spring since no one in the area wants to pick up the ball.

I actually was looking for information on meets/events for 2006. I have booked annual leave from

July 14th through July 30th and will travel ANYWHERE in North America to a ST event.

I live 20 km from the geographical centre of North America, so name the place, the date and Chelsea (my Goldie) and I will meet you there.

Gerry

What if we challenge an avalanche forum to a paintball match?

Or what about a Ford Classic paintball event with all Ford owners?

i have been to one meet in philly this year and have co-hosted ( with todd z and george ) the first long isle meet. it's nice to meet other s/t owners who share the passion !.

as far as big turn outs, i don't forsee that becoming a reality. most people who own trac's have little or no interest in this site. they consider their trucks just a mode of transportation.

oh well, whatever we all can do to promote this site is great and hopefully there will be more owners attending!

Latest posts