Question for Pat Freeman

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi pat,

When you ordered yout tonneau cover did you ask about getting it keyed to match the truck? If so was there an extra charge? The dealer first told me that it would be keyed to match, then later when I asked how long it would take to install, they told me there would be an extra $180 charge to key it the same. For the outrageous price they charge for these things in the first place, it should have been included. They also promised me it in 5-7 days, the only reason I paid the price, now they're telling me it's back-ordered because it's too new. Just curious about your experience?

Thanks,

Leanne

The new 07 Comes with a second non chip key for the cover.

Todd Z

OK, that sounds rediculous.

I think Todd Z is the expert on this.

But, to explain my situation, I told them that I wanted the OEM hard tonneau, and they ordered it. I asked if they needed a key code in order the tonneau with the right lock on it and the lady said that they have my VIN so they should be able to match it before it ships. The dealer wanted to charge $85 installation fee, but I told them to just leave it in the box and when I come I'll throw it in the bed and install it myself.

Yes, That is what Ford told me In California...

Todd Z

Your new tonneau will come with its own seperate keys (you should get a spare). ASK THE DEALER TO BE SO KIND AS TO RECORD THE KEY CODE IN THEIR PAPERWORK ON FILE JUST IN CASE YOU LOSE YOUR KEYS...the key code should be on the bag that the keys come in.

Smart to install it yourself. It's way too easy to justify paying even $50 as long as you have a hex driver and a friend to help you lift the cover on.

As with the old one, you can pay a locksmith to rekey it to the ignition if you don't like the seperate key BUT, unlike the old one, the new one has pushbutton lock cylinders so you don't need the key to open it, just to lock/unlock it. You can now drive around with it unlocked and just push button to open.