Question about Cleaning Injectors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I was curious as to cleaning injectors.

My wife has a Mercury Mountaineer - same engine as my ST. She was told at her last oil change that they should be cleaned every 30k miles. If yes, can I do it myself?

I don't see anything in the maintenance manual about that.

What do you think?

DON'T waste your money at 30K..... If you want you can sea foam or drop a bottle of the tecron cleaner, But I NEVER use that stuff.... plenty of vehicles well over 150K or more..

Todd Z

Honestly, fuel injector cleaner, or getting the fuel injectors cleaned in most modern day vehicles is just a way to get you to open up your wallet. Fuels today are cleaner than they have ever been and injector design is such that clogging isn't typically an issue anymore. The only people that are recommending fuel injector cleaning is the people that sell the product or service, you never see it as a part of any auto manufacturers maintenance although almost all dealerships will tell you that you need this service...like I said they are just trying to get in your wallet.

To heck with the "cleaners", Dump a bottle of Lucas octane boost or STP octane boost into the tank and let 'er rip. You'll be suprised!! YEEE HAWW, BC :driving::driving:

Speaking of the injectors. My mechanic mentioned an issue with the fuel rails and injectors that the coating in the rails will occassionaly "peel" off and block the injectors. I am affraid of using an chemicals in the gas that might accellerate this problem.

Has any one had any experience with this?

If you buy a quality brand name of gasoline, they will contain the neccessary detergent agents to keep your fuel system clean without having to buy anything extra...Of course, that assumes that you have been changing your fuel filter regularly.

...Rich

Just use a tank of premium once in a while. Will probably cost less than any additive and do the same job. Do not use premium regularaly unless the manual calls for it or your running a premium tune on your pcm. Just wasting money.

Latest posts