Put on a new hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Roberson

Reaction score
Well after owning the truck since 2004 I finally put on a Drawtite round tube hitch after my bumper has twisted. The installation of the hitch was a total pain. The holes didn't line up very good but after some muscle and and large vise grips and a friend we got it on. Just cant believe that 4 bolts will tow 5000 lbs.

It's been several years, but I seem to recall using SIX bolts when I installed mine. I had to go purchase the last two seperately though, since they were missing from the used hitch I bought. I don't have my truck anymore, otherwise I would check to verify my memory is correct.

There are 2 styles of hitches out there...

Nelson your correct, My new hitch uses 1 of the bumper mounts, and 2 frame mounts. That is a junky design, IT tweaked my bumper and i am not happy about it...

MY old hitch only used the 4 holes that were Pre drilled in the frame and did not even touch the bumper mounting bolts....

Both were class 3/4 hitches. the old hitch was the Ebay special and the new one is a hidden hitch.

Todd Z

Latest posts