Pulstar Pulse Plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana Lynds

Reaction score

Looking for Product Reviews regarding Pulstar Pulse Plugs. Does anyone use them?

Want to improve fuel economy as much as I can... Tks..

Ok, with the ST the ONLY proven MPG gainer is your RIGHT foot. Period...

Gimmick plugs Dont only NOT work in the ST but will cause it to run crappy and you will be replacing them in no time....

Todd Z

I haven't seen any positive reviews of any plugs other than Motorcraft or Autolite for the Sport Trac.

Thanks Todd Z in regards to your right foot being only proven MPG.

LOVE your Burnout Video.. SWEET!

Thanks Hugh great combination Motorcraft or Autolite plus my right foot

minus the burnouts...

On my 4.0l's I have come to what I believe is the best combo, a replacement platinum Motorcraft ( stock heat range) plug gapped @ .060" and a Screamin Demon coil. I always use a plug wire that is a spiral wound core not a carbon suppression core. That is about the best you can do for combustion energy. Anything more won't aid anymore, unless have much bigger mods done to increase the cylinder pressure and flow substantially. I also have the BBk throttlebodies on them. It did help in throttle response and a slight amount of mileage help out on the highway along with JBA shorty headers on the 4wd pulling 35" tires...

Common knowledge on this forum is to stick with OEM plugs. Motorcraft SP500 Finewire Platinum, Autolite APP103 Double Platinum, or XP103 Iridium gapped at .054 are as

good as it gets. Very thin coat of copper or nickel anti seize on the threads and silicone dielectric grease on the wire boots optional. Fail safe and good for at least another 70K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than paid for bias'ed write up. I have never known any type of gimmick plugs, be worth the cost. Good spiral core wires, plat-electrode and plat-ground. Is as good as a stock motor gets'. Most cost and power effective for 70k to 80k miles.

Only advantage with a performance coil-pack, is. maybe smoother idle, after the plugs and wires get, high milage. Once manufactors' went to DIS. The oem high voltage epoxy coils. Got better than, when they first got rid of oil-filled design, with mechanical distributors.

I bought a used sceamin-demon coil from a member. Never could tell a difference, and it craped out after 10months. I knew better. The lack of a decent price for it, no warranty, should have stoped me.(broke my own rule of, what to pay for used electrical). He did give me a good price for the, new PF pads though.

Eddie makes a good point. The stock coils have plenty of firepower that our truck engines are ever going to need. I suspect our trucks would run with a 0.200" gap on all the plugs- the coil is that hot.

I don't know anything about Pulstar plugs, but Ford ignitions don't like plugs with multiple electrodes like the Bosch +2 and +4 that Auto Zone tries to sell you. I've had NGK Iridiums for the last 50k, got them with some reservations because that was all the NAPA store had in stock that day, but they've been fine.

Latest posts