Problems Problems And Well you get it

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
I still love this ST

OK, so I posted earlier today but i wanted to give a full description of my problem(s). It has been a rough Month. First my car kept dying at an idle. So I replace the IAC,PCV valve, and cleaned the MassAirFlow Sensor. It started running good again. YAY.

Then my gas cap light came on. I replaced the cap. All good now.

It was pass due so i changed the spark plugs and wires. All Good.

Then i began to drive and my gas cap light came on again, along with my check engine light. So i checked all my fluids. Which i thought they would do when they changed my oil. But i guess not.

My transmission fluid was very low. (now i will forever always change my own oil.) and my oil was too high. I think they put in one quart too many.

I put in transmission fluid and changed my fuel filter. Also while I was under changing my fuel filter i noticed a leak near my transfer case. So i looked at it further and 2 bolts were loose. I tightened them as much as i could.

I then began to drive my ST and at about 45-55mph my ST started to shake. So i took it to the shop right away for an opinion. They lifted the car and found a few problems.

One: I had pretty much no fluid in my transfer case. They took care of me and filled it up for free. (It still leaks though)

Two: My front drive shaft's boot was cracked. They said it wasn't a big deal now, but needed to be taken care of sooner then later. Otherwise dirt and grime would get all in it. They said it was still greased well though.

Three: It looked like my rear drive shaft used to have a weight on it. They said I need a completely new one. Other people told me it needs to be re-balanced. I am in the process of finding someone to do it now. But i need my car and cant find anyone to do it on the spot. They want me to take it out myself and bring it to their shop. How can i drive up there? i would have no drive shaft in my ST. They also said it would cost roughly $85. Has anyone had a better price then that before? If i try to balance it myself, does anyone have any idea what weight it might be or what i should use as a weight?

The other big concern is my transfer case. What should i do? Whole new transfer case? can i fix it? I will attach pictures and hope they will help you to help me.

Oh yeah. I have no lights on anymore. Emmisions due soon.

If anyone knows a good mechanic near Annapolis, Maryland. Let me know.

THANKS!

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

If your Trac is 4wd you can remove the rear driveshaft and drive it in 4High for a short time without causing damage ( I did this when I needed new u-joints put in and I drove OTR, no time to do myself). I can't really see in those pics where the transfer case is leaking from, if you can take pictures of the back and front of it where both driveshafts connect. As far as yhe front diveshaft, check out the site sponsors here and on the Explorer Forum, I know one of them on the EF had specials going on for front driveshafts. Get the rear driveshaft rebalanced. Have the check the u-joints while they have it, might as well kill two birds with one stone, right. Good luck and let us know any updates.

Where you are showing the "missing weight" i believe was nothing more than tape wrapped around a tag.

That said,,, you have a steel shaft and Ford put a TSB out on them as they were pretty much defective the moment they were installed. They had/have a balance issue.

The late 03 up to 05 are aluminum and will fit your Trac.

Get rid of the steel one and buy a used aluminum one.

Or,,, you can get it balanced and it will likely be ok.

Is it possible your U joints have started to go south? We had a vibration on our 4x4 Explorer XLT a while back. At higher speeds, it started to vibrate pretty bad. A short time later, when accelerating the vibration would start. $30.00 later and two U-Joints and the vehicle is as smooth as silk, even with well over 200,000 miles on the odometer.

Tom

Sounds like that ST just needs some TLC.......

I would replace the u joints and have the drive shaft re ballanced......

Check all gear boxes and fluids....

The front drive shaft is a joke to remove so have the boot changed and it greased..... that "not a problem now" is BS !!! IF it goes a drive shaft is hundreds of bucks... the dam boot is $30 !!!!!

As for the T case it sounds like it needs to be removed from the truck and re sealed.... Talk to a good transmission shop for that work....

Todd Z

@Jerry Gerner- How long can i drive without my rear drive shaft. I still have to get to work and its 36 miles each way. Would that be okay for one day?

Wow, 36 miles each way, I don't know if I'd go that long like that especially with the transfer case leaking and the front driveshaft boot ripped.

Might have to hitch a ride for a day or two or see if there is a driveline shop near your work and drop it off and tell them you need it back the same day. You'll probably have to schedule to drop off the truck or driveshaft for the same day deal so he has his time slot open for your truck.

Depending on how far away the shop is you could drive there remove the driveshaft for them and drive it in 4H to work and back to the shop but again it depends on distance.

The driveshaft can be removed and installed with one wrench in about two minutes so it's really easy to do.

I'm going to hitch a ride with someone and drop the drive shaft off at a shop tonight. Then hopefully pick it up tomorrow evening. I wont really drive it this weekend, then drop it off at a shop on monday to get the transfer case and boot looked at.

FYI (For the transfer case)If you look at the picture, There is 2 sets of bolts. 2 bolts on the left of the TC and 2 on the right. There is a line right in between them and that is what seems to be leaking. the 2 bolts on the right were loose. I tightened them but they also seem like fluid was coming out of them. Any idea? Still leaking......

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhg.......From what im told the seal that is leaking is the one leading to the transmission. I have had about three quotes at about $250-$300 because of labor. They said they have to take out the whole transfer case to get to it. Makes sense but it sucks. I hope the boot isn't that bad

I just pulled my rear driveshaft tonight to do install new u-joints in the morning and looked at the driveshaft, it has a flatline around it like yours and a partial sticker the missing band held on so that wasn't a weight. Just a heads up.

Latest posts