Problem with driver side door

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kubatz

Reaction score
Need a little help, here's the issue:

If I unlock the doors using the keypad or remote all the locks open except the driver's door.

If I try to use the key in the drivers door it will not even turn to unlock it.

To open the drivers door if the truck is locked , I need to use a different door to enter and open it by using the handle from inside.

If I close the drivers door unlocked, I am able to open it from using the handle on the outside of the door... but while lifting the handle up there is no resistance until it is lifted 3/4 of the way up than it catches and opens the door.

If I try and use the handle on the outside when the door is locked, it has no resistance at all as I lift it up.

I hope I explained it well enough to get some feedback on how to correct...

2001 4x4 Gen1

Thanks

this just started to happen to me as well! no longer than 2 days ago! I just came on this website to post the same thing! aint that something. I too Have a '01 Job1. when I put my code in, the lock seems like it wants to "go up," but does not. But everything else works fine. Sometimes i can get it to unlock if i hit the last button in the code like 10 times in a row, but its probably not good so I want to Fix it.

I am thinking its the door lock actuator. what do others think??? Help Tom and I

Tom sorry to share the post with you, but its the same exact problem. :haveabeer:

Yours is a common problem, and my 2001 had the same problem. I just fixed it last week.

Do a search in the board, and you will find some good information on solving it. In particular, I remember two very good posts on the subject.

General info:

There is a spring that connects from the exterior door handle to a rod inside the door. That spring (or the attachment point on the door handle) breaks.

The solution is to install a new spring in the proper location. I used a "Ford Throttle Return" spring from Autozone, and it fit very nicely. A pack of two springs was $4.99.

There are some good pictures of exactly what needs to be done. Keep looking if you don't find. Searching the forum can be difficult sometimes.

If you have problems finding it, send me a message - I have a PDF copy of the instructions.

If it is not the spring problem check the rivit that holds the lock actuator, it is visible when you open the door right by the inner door panel just below the latch. My passenger door was broken when I bought my 01'. I repalced it with a very short 1/4"x20 bolt and nut. I just noticed a cuuple weeks ago that the rivit is missing on the drivers door, lock is working for now but if you watch the lock it is not moving right. I will probably pull the dood panel and fix it this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed my door yesterday. Had to replace both the actuator and latch. My friend stopped by who use to work in a body shop. He helped me and it took a little over an hour. Not as easy I had hoped but it's done and works perfect!

Latest posts